Agnostic.com

19 8

Have you ever noticed SOME religious people are some of the most unhappy?

I know unhappy people exist in all forms and shapes, but I’ve noticed some of the most unhappiest people I’ve come across are painfully unhappy, yet religious. I just want to make sure if I’m not the only one that noticed to this.

EmeraldJewel 7 July 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

With some of them it's the fact that they believe this life is just the waiting period before real life, the afterlife, that makes them miserable. They hate being around everyone and everything that isn't tied to their religious beliefs and they can't wait for Heaven where it's gonna be just them and their God for all eternity. They can't cut in line by killing themselves (although I don't know why. They've accepted Jesus, they're getting in even if they kill others or themselves, right?) so they wait in misery.

SXXX9 Level 4 Aug 1, 2018

Yes because some are stuckup prude with no sense of humor.

Nice emphasis on some. I see what mean. If God is loving and worshiping him gives one joy, then how can they harbor sadness, anger or depression?
Becuase they don't seek out professional help or talk openly about their problems to family and friends? That’s my thought.
At church, I was taught to keep my emotions in check and that only prayong to God can help me.
Thankfully I eventually dropped that kind of thinking and sought professional help for my childhood truama.

To me they worry a lot more and are the most concerned about death and dying...seems counter intuitive if you ask me.

I’ve noticed the opposite. Religious people I know aren’t just happy with their lives, they’re content.

There are occasions when they could be forgiven for being almost suicidal...can't really blame them...?

I can't comprehend that look on the popes face. How does he still not know that his holy book says that all leaders are put in place by his supreme being?

@gsiamne

Lol..yep..god's will..sucks!

Never been that close from a religious to notice their unhappiness... were you hang out, church? I got a Minister Sister and never seen her unhappy even when I smiling told her "still not saved"... she simply answers "you can still come around, if you want to". Here in vegas the unhappy just lost some money and not in church mind you.

I already said anybody in all shapes in forms, regardless could be unhappy.

@EmeraldJewel You never sound happy.... No smile in your photos... your questions are never about joy, always depression and anger... is it because religion?

@GipsyOfNewSpain I don’t smile cause I don’t believe in being fake and can only smile when I feel sincere to smile and apparently you havent seen the one I was smiling. No, I’m not angry about religion. This is an open community where people come to express themselves so I asked a question to see if there were others like me who felt similar. But if my post are depressing and anger filled, no one is forcing you to pay attention to my post.

@EmeraldJewel But you never expressed yourself... You just ask questions. Angry questions, depressing questions judgemental questions. Fake smile is more pleasant than fake color in my book... see... now that you changed your profile pic... That wasn't that hard wasn't? Tell us one day about what brings you joy?

Many people would rather be "right" than happy. It isn't just the religious or religious fundamentalists. Association is not cause. But ... one thing you can definitely say is that religion in and of itself does not prevent unhappiness.

Oh yes ive certainly noticed this , in fact im related to several people that are religious and yet totally miserable.,, i find it too be quite ironic

IKR! Very ironic.

@EmeraldJewel they are hypocrites that much is certainly true

@ScienceBill72 yes! Hypocrites they are.

@EmeraldJewel totally, and its very annoying

Absolutely! Look at how many pagan traditions Christianity 'adopted' so they could claim, "See? We can be fun, too!" For some, I guess, they're just coping the best they can when the varnish wears off and they're clinging to disappointing scraps of piety.

I think they are all crazy!

happy/unhappy I usually relate to thier relationships to those outside of themselves...may be religious, may be not...people who are positive, supportive, encouraging are often "happy" people...people who are negative, critical, sarcastic(ridiculing)...not supportive...Those are usually "unhappy" people...

most often since times in asia, this relates to rich vs. poor...I say, many very rich people I know, very unhappy...many very poor people I know, very happy...same basis, positive vs. negative outlook toward others...

Agreed. It appears they neck down their world to such a degree there’s no room for ..us - the life of the party 😀 Their trek to church appears total drudgery. They appear so judgemental of their own ..no one dares show initiative, independance or creativity.. I’ll occasionally notice them in a restaurant after church … just goingthroughthemotions … no talking, smiling, laughing or signs of life beyond their automaton motions of feeding themselves.

Varn Level 8 July 27, 2018

Perhaps it is essencially because the..have to admit i follow budhissny are lost...need something to believe in....don't have much substance going beyond mythology..and we all now hoe empty that can be..maybe that is why they follow religion...have to admit i practice budhism to bring quite where otherwise i might be lost!

dan123 Level 2 July 27, 2018

My experience has been they are not very bright. Because they aren't bright they can't figure out why their life sucks. They go to church, they pray, and they give money, of which they usually have very little, to the church, and nothing gets better. It doesn't get better because they aren't very bright.

Are they unhappy because they're religious or are they religious because they're unhappy? Either way, their god unfortunately isn't going to wave his magic wand and fix things for them.

dkp93 Level 8 July 27, 2018

I've met quite a few people that have a problem, or sadness, or something or other. And their solution is to keep praying. Soon enough god will answer my prayers. So they wait and worry.

Non believers though, will actually do something about what ever it is.

Oh my goodness have I ever. I'm related to people who are miserable because they are religious. They are expecting the religion to make them happy and they become even more miserable when that doesn't happen. I don't expect anything to make me happy. I just enjoy those things that make me happy. Religious people I know expect to be happy, honestly believe they have a right to be happy and when they are not, it's satan's fault.

Which is why they might be religious?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:141195
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.