Agnostic.com

11 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

English is the language of money

Well...long read indeed. Most of it sounds (to ME) as a complaint. Not sure what's the reason for discomfort, if any... Not too long ago, the language of Diplomacy (Mostly Europe) was French. I don't recall reading any complaints about it.......In any case, there is a big freight train coming at us at fast speed and it keeps picking up momentum by the day. I wonder if years from now there will be a link to a similar long argument like this article , called "Behemoth, bully, thief: How the Chinese language is taking over the planet"

.....forgot to say xie xie

@iamjc have you been to the west coast lately?? ???

@iamjc my whole point is, the link complain about English. Given time ( hundreds of years, don't know....it won't be overnight), another language will rule and the same complain will resurface again.... In the long run, nothing change

Suck on that, Esperanto.
And stop hitting yourself.

Gareth Level 7 July 28, 2018

Any second language, regardless, it's the greatest investment one can do for one self sake......

I am learning Spanish so I can speak with all the "criminals and rapists" who are streaming across the southern border. Although there may be a few good ones too. Maybe Trump should read about the Hispanic culture! Oh! That's right, the idiot can't speak English properly, let alone read it.

No creo en Dios!

When I was running the restaurant, I joked that I was learning Spanish so I would know what the cooks were saying about me.

Something like "El Jefe es loco" 😉

The only place I ever traveled outside of the U.S. was the Dominican Republic. You might as well visit a deserted island if you don't speak Spanish. If I didn't have my Dominican friend with me I would have been completely lost.

A fascinating read thanks. I've never travelled anywhere in the world where I've needed anything but English to communicate, and it always leaves me feeling arrogant and embarrassed. Those numbers of languages about to become extinct are frightening!

Salo Level 7 July 27, 2018

Yes, it is frightening to think of all the languages, as well as all the other things, that are going extinct.

@tnorman1236 It is not frightening at all. English is the language of commerce

@jwd45244 Depends on how you look at it. I don't think commerce should be the primary factor determining what exists and what doesn't.

I wonder why English speakers were able to spread themselves over such a large portion of the globe, and why were they able to thrive and succeed so well. Was it sheer luck or was there some sort of inherent strength lacking in others.

Was it divine providence? Oh shoot! I didn’t mean to say that here. I take it back.

I am no longer able to edit my comments. Are others having that problem also?

I've not noticed a problem editing. Have you read "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. It helps to explain why the west was able to take over a lot of the world.

@tnorman1236 I’ll look for that. Thanks.

I'm glad I learned English as my Mother tongue, and not a second language.

I was actually going to go find that quote and post it here. Ta, mate, saved me the bother,

Thank you for the link. It is very interesting.

JB4now Level 5 July 27, 2018

I used to be a Chef here in Florida, which meant a large part of the staff are Mexican. It was in my best interest to learn Spanish. It wasn't really hard, and a lot of them spoke English and Spanish, and they were a great help in communicating, Teaching me a bunch.

People should be polyglot...at least bilingual.

@DUCHESSA I know a bit of Italian as well from my grandmother. She came here as a little girl and had to learn English, but even to her older years she still had a strong accent.

@TristanNuvo She had a strong accent because her first years in USA she probably only spoke Italian....is always the case.
Now, having said that...to have an accent is nothing wrong. I do (in English) because I learned said language from childhood BUT in a Spanish speaking country.
BEW, to learn Spanish was easier for you because you are used to Italian.

I will be talking -again- classes in Italian next semester...I did in college and I heard this language all my life in my other country.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:141293
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.