Agnostic.com

10 1

What are your top 3-5 favorite Movies? Explain if you care to, I'm just looking for good movies I may have missed! Obviously I'm a big fan of Sci-Fi, though have not seen the most recent Star Wars flicks.

Mine are:
The Matrix
Alien
The Terminator

Please no spoilers!!

RobCampbell 7 Jan 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What links 6th sense with Titanic?
Icy dead people

LOL !!!

The African Queen
A matter of life and death
Zulu
Barefoot in the park (great romcom)
2001 A space odyssey
If
On the waterfront
Whatever happened to baby Jane
The taming of the shew (Burton & Taylor)
The man who fell to earth
and just for fun Star trek iv the voyage home

the entire "Alien" series

Last of the Mohicans

Dirty Dancing

Silence of the Lambs

Truly #1 Jan Svankmajer's Alice (fantastic stop motion classic master)

(rest are off top of my head so could change on any give day ~8D)

1. Dr. Caligari's Insane Asylum (Stephen Sayadian) Trippy, low budget brilliance (long time favorite)

2. The Boys From Brazil (full of dobermans)

3. Inglourious Basterds (I love Marcel)

4. Look Who's Back (2015) aka
    Er ist wieder da (timely in this day and age)

[imdb.com]

Inglorious Bastards are you kidding. I makes the bible look realistic

@273kelvin uh, think it was meant as a fantasy film ? Quentin tarantino much?

@Qualia It is a personal view granted but I feel that there was enough real acts of heroism in WW2 so as to make fantasy unnecessary Quite frankly I think it does a disservice to all who put their lives on the line (including my dad and uncle) to defeat fascism.

@273kelvin Sorry you find it offensive. It did not portray nazis in a positive light.

@273kelvin I don't suppose you've seen Er ist wieder da

@Qualia No

@Qualia More realistic films on WW2 if not based on fact then at least reality would be The cruel sea and das Boot

@Qualia Maybe a bridge too far or letters from Iwo Jima

@273kelvin Er ist wieder da is important for highlighting herd think. It could all happen again. I don't think modern interpretations on face are necessarily disrespectful.

Disrespect from my POV regarding WWll would be not teaching it at all or putting fascists in a positive light.

My top five Science Fiction movies are (other than Star Trek and Star Wars) and this is in no particular order.

Fifth Element
Event Horizon
Ex Machina
Children of Men
Blade Runner

Gohan Level 7 Jan 12, 2018

None of my top favorite movies fits into your genre it seems, but if you like The Matrix, you might like The Thirteenth Floor which tells the story of a simulation created within a simulation. The movie was released about the same time as Matrix but not as well-made. Interstellar is an exceptional sci-fi movie 🙂

1. Spirited Away
  2. Fight Club
  3. Forrest Gump

Spirited Away is an epic Classic!!! Check out Brother's Quay and Jan Svankmajer's Alice also if you've not already.

I'm a bit of a movie buff so I'll restrict my list to the science fiction genre:

1: Ex Machina - ranked 1st by a long shot.
2: Arrival

And a very far 3rd, 4th and 5th
3: Tied (because I can't decide): V for Vendetta OR Serenity
4: A franchise, in order of preference: Mad Max: Fury Road, Mad Max 2, Mad Max
5: Equilibrium

Honorable mention:
6: The Matrix.

Listing it now, I can see that I'm less interested in the hero's journey (e.g. Star Wars) and more interested in the themes behind the stories. But I do like the Star Wars and Star Trek movies.

A few of my favorites... Star Wars, Guardians of the Galaxy (Vol 1 and 2), Deadpool, The Princess Bride, Stardust, The Lord of the Rings (trilogy).

To me, what makes a movie a favorite is that it is purely entertaining. I want to have fun watching a movie. That typically means a mix of action, adventure, and humor, with fun characters and a decent plot. There are certainly more elegant movies with legendary actors made by renowned directors. Such movies are like works of art. You watch them and appreciate them, then you go home. But a FUN movie is like a roller coaster ride that you want to ride again and again.

If you can find a movie "Moon" check it out.....with sam Rockwell,from maybe 10 yrs ago.....one of my favorite sci-fi movies of all time......best movies of late..."florida project" and "I,tonya" are my faves

huey Level 3 Jan 10, 2018

Moon is definitely on my 'to watch' list. I watched a synopsis of this film and really want to see it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14165
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.