Agnostic.com

4 2

I found this statistic to be particularly interesting in terms of how environmental gender ratios affect men’s and women’s perspective on gender discrimination.

“Gender balance in the workplace also tends to matter for women in non-STEM positions but those in STEM stand out especially when it comes to experiences with workplace discrimination, the feeling that they need to prove themselves in order to be respected by coworkers, and their belief that, overall, their gender has made it harder for them to succeed at work. By contrast, for male STEM workers, the gender balance in their workplace is largely unrelated to views about gender equity.4”
From article

[pewsocialtrends.org]

Myah 6 Jan 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not exactly worded for people with less-than-stellar literacy (raises hand). It translates, in my humble opinion thus: "work hard. Get your a** up and get it done".

Being a plant worker most of my life. I have seen females work in male dominate jobs. With a little help in certain areas females carry their fare share of the load they can carry. Most of the females were in Operations, engineering, warehouse and secretary areas. I trained 2 ladies to weld and one to be a millwright. If they could do the job pass the test pick up 50 lbs they got the job. I personally think everybody should be given the opportunity to work high paying jobs. Stem jobs are also equal opportunity jobs. Promotions are hard to get because of the way some companies think. I've seen idiots get promoted because the others worked hard and cared about their job. It's hard out there. A person should get all the qualifications they can get to use that in interviews.

I’m in the engineering area at a refinery! 🙂

@Myah. My last job was at Citgo as a PM person for rotating equipment. You know... machinist, vibration, thermal growth, alignments... I was also a planner for awhile and a bunch of supervisor positions. I'm retired now

Are you kidding?! My first job was at Citgo Corpus Christi. I worked a gasoline hydrotreater there. Now I’m in El Paso working an Alkylation unit. Small world @BucketlistBob

@Myah. Yes...it is a small world. Then you know all about me...lol. I retired last year. No more turbines and blowers and fans and compressors. Geee... I'm so grateful.

@Myah. Alky was a mess sometimes pulling those frames to get to the seals...ugh!

I'm in a majority-female non-stem office. In New York, because of what they have to pay for salaries here, EVERYBODY has to prove themselves. We've advanced pretty much 50-50 by gender, and fell by the wayside 50-50 also.

There are less women in STEM positions.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14168
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.