Agnostic.com

12 1

Technology and age

Do you think that technological advances outgrow people at a certain age? Will there be a point when you are old that you can't keep up with it?

Levi_Hinton 7 Jan 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not sure why, but I believe I'm already starting to fall behind. Is it a cultural thing? Is it a cognitive thing? maybe

I think I can keep up. I'm only 39, but I'm still very active with computers and smart phones. I have a Fire Stick that I just bought too. Bought a Samsung S8 last month. Looking to get a new laptop in a few months. Granted it takes me at least 5 years to buy a new phone or laptop lol

I'm on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

I played some virtual reality on PS4 a couple of months ago. It's pretty awesome. I can only imagine what it's going to be like in the next 20 years.

Maybe one day I will get tired of adding new social media platforms and I'll stop though. The few I use right now are enough.

On the other hand, my 68 year old mother can hardly turn a computer on, still has one of those old cell phones where you have to hit the number a certain amount of times to get to a certain letter, a cd walkman, and a fanny pack lol. One day I told her, "Welcome to the 90s!" lol

It is always one thing. What is the motivation? ...And will motor skill still up to speed? I can not play against my son on a shoot-em up first person game. But I can beat him on a strategy game. Specially if turn based, he don't stand a chance. Many of current advances do not motivate me... specially those that will make me more lazy or less functional capable. So I will type instead of speaking to the microphone. I will use a remote control and search with my fingers instead of talking to the smart tv. I embrace everything to do with music production because I am not a musician but feel the urge to create music constantly. Sooner or later has to be brought up... humans and the future of a virtual sex with all the amenities... and virtual sex won't be considered sex by my aching body either.

Firstly, I assume you're talking about information technology. I've been messing with computers going back to the early 80's, using an Apple II. One thing I've learned as time went by is not to try to keep up with advances, because it changes so quickly. So now I only delve into some bit of tech when I actually have a need to.

yes. Maybe because I am not that interested in it since I recall the transitionfrom clay tablets to papyrus

I'm in tech, always have been. I don't think I'll every lose my interest and curiosity about tech. If I do, that's probably time to check out...

I don't know but I guess ill find out.

Keeping up pretty well for 36. I'm sure i'll hit a point where i don't feel like botheringbto keep up anymore.

I've been a computer tech for about 30 years. I can still fix them but there is just a lot of stuff I don't like. I have a Facebook page but check in every couple of weeks. I don't give a crap if people know what I do every minute. I have a cell phone but only use it when I travel. I don't want to be bothered by people when I'm camping or at a movie. It's a difference in generations mostly but I also know a lot of older folks who just love for everyone to know every time they take a crap.

gearl Level 8 Jan 10, 2018

lol

that last sentence is true independent of technology

No. Everyone sees advertising from Apple with every new I Phone. As soon as a new technology is market available consumers see advertising and market demand is created. I think we can keep up with it.

Yes, technology is advancing so rapidly that it is leaving many of my generation behind. Some of us old farts make decisions about which devices we wish to remain current with and which we do not really want, need, or wish to be controlled by. I am computer literate, but do not own or want a cell phone. I value my peace, quiet, and privacy. T do not tweet or text as I do not see the sense in it. If I want to communicate, I would rather speak directly with the person..

I'm getting there real fast.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14183
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.