Agnostic.com

55 5

If you have depression, did atheism contribute to it?

It did for me. Mainly on the subject of death. Like, when my grandmother died, and my old dog had to be put down, and even going to funerals to be moral support for friends or family, it’s hard for me to live with “I/they literally will never see them again” I don’t think I’ve ever fully coped with it, but I’d be more upset with myself believing in an afterlife as an easy way out.

DaisyLove94 4 July 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments (51 - 55)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have had issues with depression for most of my life. I was having them when I still bought into the religion and catholicism thing. If anything, the alienation I felt from the depression that religion did not help or bring comfort for may have contributed to my agnosticism, but atheism/agnosticism did not cause my depression. That has more to do with neurotransmitter imbalances than it does with religion or no religion.

I'd rather never see them again than believe that they were condemned to hell?

GinoG Level 4 Aug 5, 2018

No, in many ways my atheism helps me deal with my depression. When I was a believer, the constant feeling that this was happening to me because I wasn't faithful enough or was somehow inherently deserving of suffering was kind of soul crushing. Once I realized that what it was crushing was just my sense of self worth and that there was no soul to worry about, I began to accept it as simply a physiological condition which required specific mechanisms and medications to control.

For me, death was always a part of life, I studied science early on, and understood the necessity of death in any rapidly propagating species. I feel grief over my loss, not over someone else's death.

My atheism and depression run concurrently. I don't think one caused the other, but I think it would be naive to assume that there isn't some kind of correlation.

nope. not a bit. i am clinically depressed and part of it it related to ptsd i acquired by waking up during eye surgery when i was three. my atheism is just a description of the fact that at the age of 15 i realized that there are no gods, and have had no reason since then to reverse that realization. by the way, depression is not the same thing as sadness, or grief. it is an illness. it has to do with neurotransmitters in the brain and those are not affected by atheism.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:142221
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.