Agnostic.com

7 3

QUESTION Jeff Sessions Rejects Separation of Church and State

This is absolutely frighting on so many level! What is bad...these people in our congress have never read the constitution!

Scorpio_gurl 6 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Everytime a religion has gained control of a government, the citizens learn to fear both!"

Jeff Sessions is the 3rd greatest piece of shit in this evil trump administration. trump and pence are 1 and 2. Denying separation of church and state he is a racist, bigot, and hate monger.

Jeff Sessions needs a lesson or two on Constitutional law. In fact it should be mandatory for every politician before they take office to know what they can and can not do within the confines of the Constitution. It's there for a reason Jeff and Donny.

One of the many reasons why Sessions should be removed from office.

Everytime an Abrahamic religion has gained control of a government it has become oppressive. Every single time! The Founding Fathers knew this. They all had either experienced religious totalitarianism first hand or had recent relatives who had. That is precisely why many of the earliest settlers / pioneers came to the new world. Religions had made Europe a hell hole and a very dangerous place for every person who was not of the exact religious sect (the Abrahamic religions have thousands of sects with more being added) as that which was in power.

And yet the current administration wants ti allow Churches to be involved in politics and even produced legislation to allow it. A clear violation of Separation of Church and State

Thank you for the link. I wasn't aware of this. That's scary. I don't care for Jeff Sessions as Attorney General. I wish here would resign.

Unfortunately he is right. Thomas Jefferson was an admitted deist and more than likely atheist. His idea of separation of state and church was the opposite of what is now believed. We think religion should not be in government. He thought that government should not be in religion.

Let's look at it his way. The government is made up of people. People have religious views even if it is atheism. People in government make decisions based on moral, ethical and religious values all the time even for very minor issues. If there is one just one person working for the government that is in any way religious their religion will have an affect on their decision making. It is impossible to have no religion in government because the government is made up of people. So now we have to look at how those decisions affect the government. Are they actually making laws or regulations based on their religion that effects others or is it something like praying during a smoke break? If it does effect others we need to take a close look at it to protect every ones freedom. It the nature of the beast, a constant battle.

He believed that if people in the community wanted to build a monument to budda that the government should not interfere with that decision. This did have ulterior motives. He lived among very religious people and wanted to ensure that the government also did not make anyone worship any gods thus protecting those who were not religious. He had to throw out the idea of freedom of religion to set the ground work for freedom from religion, he just could not come out and say it in the open.
The separation of church and state is not part of our constitution no matter how much we don't like it. It is an operational principle that exists in our government that is not part of our government.

Eventually, a supreme court justice made a decision and sighted the separation of church and state. That ruling became law and set a president, since then other rulings were based upon that decision and the idea has become Judicial but not Constitutional law. We really need a Constitutional amendment that will remedy this embarrassing and unfortunate oversight. The problem we will run into is, this country is still primarily Christian. If such a law was written it will likely somehow favor Christianity.

I agree with you that they will make sure it favored Christianity. And that's exactly why we need it, these evangelicals are out of control. They are not followers of the Bible and need to be called out using that text as proof they are not who they say they are. Democrats have not mastered the messaging game like the republicans have and they need to.

I stand corrected. I still believe we need to maintain separation of Church and State regardless.

@misstuffy yyyyyyyeeeeeeeesssssss!!!!!!!!!!!! I do agree a bit. My son's middle name is Thomas as an amateur historian I took the liberty(I used the word liberty) of naming my son after him.

@DavidLaDeau The current administration is deadset on kissing the asses of the Religious Leaders, the new bills that allow them to actively involve their churches in politics is a slap in the face of our founding fathers and everything they stood for.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14508
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.