Agnostic.com

36 2

How long has your longest relationship lasted?

My last relationship lasted over 21 years. We just went different paths. I became more out as an atheist, she became more woo. I'd only ever had one gf before that. What are your experiences?

GordonWolters 4 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Funny you should ask. First marriage lasted almost 1 year. My wife and unborn child were killed. It took a while to recover from that.

Second marriage was a legal issue. She and I were good friends for a long time. Her man up and left her and their newborn daughter and ran off the the islands. He wasn't coming back and he was not going to be helping financially, either. We made an agreement that we would stay together until her daughter was at least 16. I married her when her daughter was 2, and that relationship endured 14 years. We were on good terms until she died.

Third marriage has lasted now for 30 years and appears will only end when I kick off. This relationship was founded on friendship as well, that turned into a loving one rather quickly. We have 3 children, and all is well.

Piece of advice: If you want a relationship that will last, base it on friendship and all that entails, like listening to your partner, not being judgmental, allowing the other their freedom and friends, and growing to understand one another. By all means, keep religion out of it. There are two atheists who are totally committed to one another under this roof. We are happy and looking forward to spending the rest of our time together -- and we are good friends.

Does the 13 years that I've had my horse count? Haha

14 years twice. Both of my marriages lasted 14 years. At my age if I can do another 14 that should be perfect timing.

damn, sorry to hear they ended 😟

depends if i have enough cash for another hour

I never last that long

mine lasted 5 years......

25 years, I regret staying in the marriage so many years.

Who was the youngest guy that you've dated? Love your photos

25 Years, 22 married split.

Unfortunately, 10 years.

20 years married (22 together). Loved it! Separated by cancer.

Zster Level 8 Oct 14, 2017

My ex and I were together for about 30 years, 25 of those married.

Over 42 years so far.

Had an off and on girlfriend, call her R, we dated probably about a year and a half over the course of 6 years. When we finally tried to make a real go of it, I moved her 2000 miles back to AZ and she only stayed for 4 months. The last month she would barely talk to me. She's back in OH now and if she ever tries to contact me again, I will just hang up.

Dated A for about 9 months, even got engaged. Turns out A was a mean drunk and a liar. She was 5'5" size 6 and started beating on me 6'1" 270. I GTFO, she yelled through the door she was going to call the cops and ruin my life. I called first, got my furniture out and never went back.

Dated L for about 9 months, she wanted me to be her 7th husband, I declined, she is now with #8, but they seem to be a good fit and we are still friends.

C was L's friend. We ended up in a FWB thing for a while, 6 months or so. She wanted more I didn't, she got violent. This homie don't play that, I noped outta there and told her to lose my number, she did, but not until after she vandalized my car and slashed the new tires on my truck.

All 4 of the above played the religion card on me at some time during the relationship. They expressed their displeasure in my non-belief, sometimes with great volume.

I am currently in love with my best friend J. I've known J about 3 years, but when we met she was engaged so I didn't pursue her, that relationship was already dead, but it didn't end until 6 months ago. J is awesome, we like a lot of the same things, laugh at the same jokes. Sometimes we both see the sunset from opposite ends of town and I will get a text about it as I'm sending her one. We finish each others sentences, and she says I'm her best friend..... J isn't ready to be in another serious relationship yet and doesn't want to ruin our friendship... J is "just dating" a guy that looks a lot like me, and I'm very sad about that.

I was married 20 years, but we were separated for the last two. I enjoyed many aspects of marriage, and would still be married had the relationship not gone array. Sometimes you have to admit you're in a losing battle.

Snail Level 2 Oct 15, 2017

About 5 years....I was terrible at picking partners. For the past 10 years, I haven't even tried, but am ready to try again.

I've only ever had one "girlfriend" and it was in grade school. I later found out that she was only my girlfriend because she felt bad for me, so I guess she wasn't a real one.

The relationship, however, lasted like 3 months.

About ten years.
At ten it was really out of gas and needed to end.

Four years. We were compatible in so many ways until his bipolar disorder ruined the relationship. I am very well informed now, but was not aware of so many things at the time. I'm finding it difficult to find honest people who are non believers,in my area. I'm a good a loving person and I don't play games, and that may be the problem.

I wish people were just honest about what they want. Honesty is the first step towards my heart.

As romantic partners, we were together seven-and-a-half years, two-and-a-half as a married couple. Although we divorced, we're still good friends!

Not including dogs and divorce proceedings, 3 years.

15 years to an ordained Baptist Preacher who played Jeezus in the Mary Hardin Baylor Christmas pageant. Total crook and hypocrite, mean as hell. Didn't believe before but had to go attend all the crap.

38 years, although the first 8 were off and on. It actually gets better as we go. I am often astounded that I have this relationship in my life. I feel lucky. I see all the times we could have said it wasn't worth it. But every time I wondered if I would better off alone or with someone different I knew in my heart that I would not.

jmott Level 3 Dec 24, 2017

3 years of courtship with a 6 month break up then married for 19 years, including broken and legally separated for 2 years. We get alone fine. Had also an around 5-6 years relationship in numerous different facets including living together. Nothing else beyond 11 to 24 months. I am Trainable, someone said. I am at best for one night stand I believe. Fear of Commitment for sure but Trainable. Absent of Drama, never been jealous, Very Open Minded but Can Not Read Minds... She Gonna Have to Tell Me. Never a Broken Heart. Never Met the One.

1st marriage = 4 years. 2ond marriage 16 years, should have ended at 12. Present relationship = 27 years. She lived with me in my house for 8 years, and now lives in her own house but we are still together. The best of both worlds.

The love of my life passed away 2 years ago after we were married 49 years. I was heart broken and I still miss her and think about her a lot.

Mine was/is 18 years but the last 3 have been on and off. We never married but we both treated and respected our relationship/family like we were. We have 3 children together and that has made the "on and off" thing rather hard. We love each other very much and I can honestly say he's one of my best friends. Our 3rd child was born hearing impaired and that caused a lot of stress for me. He has had some personal /mental issues the last few years that I couldn't handle any more on top of dealing with my daughters medical problems. I realized only HE could change and help himself, so I walked away. I believe that spending your whole 20's and most of your 30's with someone does not mean you really know everything about them. Right now he is about 2000 miles away rebuilding his life, while I'm still trying to pick up the pieces of mine. I am happy and don't regret the time we were together. He has asked me to wait for him till he can move back so we can be a family again but I feel like that's a big shit on my life plans. So here I am nearing 40 years old, raising 3 great kids alone and l really don't know if I want to wait. ????

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1455
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.