Agnostic.com

9 3

Starving

Do you remember the great potato famine in Ireland? A million people starved to death. Just wondering.Weren't they surrounded by fish?
Huh?

steve148 7 Jan 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Give a man a fish and will fed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and will create a shiftless workshy lump, who will never do another honest days work in his lifetime

Lack of knowledge and a willingness to accept the mythology combine to create a rather distorted picture of history.

[culinarylore.com]

Remember, Ireland is a Catholic country and, as such, families tend to be large. To me this is evidence of overpopulation and mono culture.

Look into the history of Easter Island. Kevin Costner once a film titled "Rapa Nui". The island was settled by Polynesians and was a heavily forested island. As the natives cut the trees down for rope and canoes for fishing the trees disappeared until there was one left (the theme of the film). Anthropologists found bones in the trash middens and some were human. It is a very interesting story and, to me, a microcosm of what can happen planet wide.

[en.wikipedia.org]

"Do you remember the great potato famine in Ireland?" ffs it was 1835

I have a good memory, And I'm very old

How many potatoes does it take to kill an Irishman?.....none

Sorry is that a bit to soon

And today people protest against blight-resistant, GM potatoes....

There’s grass there too. They could have grazed.

Need carbs to survive besides fish? I'm not a nutritionist.

Only the shorelines really had access to numerous fish. Do you realize just how many fish would have to be caught daily to feed an entire nation? But good point.

Where is your sense of humor? The fact is There was plenty of fish. It was confiscated at the docs by the ruling class. Other then that this was a joke, and I think it's pretty funny. Sorry you didnt get it.

@steve148 Me too. My face is red, but you can't tell that either. ????

@steve148 we got lots of immigrants out of it!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14587
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.