Agnostic.com

9 4

Atheist, unfortunately, is a word with extreme negative connotations for many people, try saying you are secular or just a non-believer. You will get less of an emotional reaction, and can still be truthful.

trekmad 3 Jan 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am agnostic, and have been since leaving the church 20++ years ago. My friends mostly church folk had a hard time understanding, but the garden variety: "I am christian through inoculation cause I was born America" had a hard time with agnostic. I would really rather people know me as a good human.

I don't care less about getting less of an emotional reaction. Quite the contrary. I agree with Dr Richard Carrier who said in an interview that it's time to take religions on. If we don't do it in this century then I fear it will be too late.

"Extreme negative connotations"....like "gay" or "transgender" used to be? Just keep saying it until the morons minds dull up.

Very well said

I tend to just use the word atheist. No sense beating around the bush, I find. I figure all those terms mean the same thing, so why does it matter which one you use? I mean, it matters in the sense that ignorant people may view you more negatively if you use the label atheist, but...fuck 'em 🙂 That's their problem, not mine.

That is probably true. It is because judgmental people like to use labels as derogatory weapons. To ultra-religious true believers, atheist is one of their favored label to hate.

It's important for me to be honest and open so this is one of many reasons I call myself atheist.

Dav87 Level 6 Jan 12, 2018

When I first stopped believing in God, I called myself an agnostic for a few months, but quickly found the confusion the American Atheists speaker cites in the clip. I reached the same conclusion - that most Americans don't understand these other words - and so I began calling myself an atheist.

Try pronouncing it as A-Theist instead of Atheist with emphases on A.

I'm okay with 'atheist'. Other people's reactions are their own. I'm not going to soft-pedal anything to assuage the ignorance of others.

just human

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14636
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.