Agnostic.com

21 2

Chiropractors.. are they witch doctors do they do some good?

MichaelSpinler 8 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Years ago....A chiropractor's 'treatment' would help for about an hour before it wore off. He failed to know there was a "bone spur" on my spine. So he just kept on with the "treatments" and the $$$ till I got away from him. Lost all confidence in chiropractors. Never been back....never will.

Chiropractors and their supports remind me how people get carried away about other things in life that might have some benefit. I went to one a few times for muscular pain in my back. He stretched me and he recommended exercises. The exercises may have helped, BUT my problem is the outrageous claims beyond exercise. I'm sure you can get recommendations from a lot of places for back exercises. Some may seem very nice, but they are quacks.

May not be for everyone, but I was definitely helped by going to a chiropractor.

I'm skeptical but then I don't seem to benefit from a full body massage either.

SamL Level 7 Oct 15, 2017

it feels good

I've used chiropractors for 35 yrs on and off due to lower back trouble mainly. I have reduced disk gaps due to lifting stupidly heavy weights for my build. I always insisted that they explain everything they do as I wanted and still want to learn. They definately helped immensley when I was in trauma with my back. About 5 yrs ago I met one who claimed that if I went to her every 3 months instead of waiting until I was in trauma she would have me walking in and out of the practice pain free and 100% functional. She delivered as promised, I hardly ever have anything more than a few moments discomfort now after 30 yrs of reoccuring back trouble. I have learnt with the help of chiros to manage my back. They are not magic, you will probrably need to follow exercise and stretching routines . Not all are as good as others and like a doctor, if incompetent they can do harm. A knowledgeable chiropractor will take a whole body approach, asking and advising about diet and other things. You should stick with a good chiro that suits you as they will get to know your body and you their ways of treatement, it can be a fairly personal relationship as you need to be 100% open about everything that affects your health over time. Mostly you need to learn how to assist them in their treatement of you. It's a holistic exercise. I am definately cautiously in favor or them in general and 100% in favor of the godd ones.

When I went to my local chiropractor, he saw that one of my legs was a full inch shorter than my other leg. He proceeded to crack my back in various ways (which felt absolutely amazing, by the way) and when he was done he found that it had fixed it. It was worth the $20, I'd say.

The one-leg-shorter bit is an old faith healer's scam. There are tons of them all over the internet. Here's one:

I have no doubt that the work he did on your back felt good. Spend it on a massage next time, you'll get more for your money. (and I mean they'll work on your back for a longer time, not something sexual.) 🙂

Some Insurance may pay for a set number of chiropractic visits a year. I don’t think they pay for massages, some might.

I’ve never been to one but I have someone in my family who is one. I also have many friends who swear by them. So I think there has to be something useful.

When I hurt my neck my Dr. (a drug dealer for big pharma) gave me pills. After they were gone I was just as bad as the day I hurt it. I suggested a chiro and she said it was stupid. Well I went anyway. I walked in there not being able to move my head at all. I walked out pain free and with total movement. Chiros are so much more effective than drugs!

Maybe, thoigh they caused me a break in a neck disc, ruined my life. That is one observation. One experience. Failed trying to get legal relief had to have major surgery. Hope that andwer helps. I am not a Dr.

I've gone to one a few times and it did nothing for my back.
My sister goes regularly and always complains about how bad her back hurts for a few days after her last visit.

I have had both good and bad experiences. The most recent experience was bad. He was not helping me, but sucking up the money. The same guy a few years ago great. Adjusted my back a few times and it was great. It seems like in the intervening years he became a money grabber.

CS60 Level 7 Oct 15, 2017

Especially this approach concerns diseases of the musculoskeletal system. I like to attend massage and chiropractor courses. I found an excellent chiropractor at adriameduae.com, and I still visit him. His treatment tactics have helped me heal a pinched nerve and get rid of terrible pain. Take care of your health!

Chiropractors undoubtedly benefit our health. Medical treatment is not always effective. I try to avoid using pills and injections to treat illnesses. It seems to me that synthetic substances have a bad effect on the overall condition of the body.

I have had great luck with chiropractors. They tend to lean toward not only adjustments but offering easy to do exercises to strengthen muscles and increase mobility.

I have been to one [1] unonumeral one [1] that did any good for me. I`ll stick to my upside down chair from now on!

I had a terrible issue with a pinched nerve in my neck a few years ago. It was constant 24/7 pain that made me miserable and made every day life almost unbearable. My regular doctor just kept prescribing pain meds so I was on 4 different meds that made me incredibly out of it so I didn’t really care about the pain but it was still there. I was expected to drive and function like a normal person on all these meds which is crazy. I found a chiropractor who genuinely cared and he spent four months fixing my problem, and gave me a very good discount as I could not afford to see him as often as I needed to see him. I still go to him years later to keep things in line and am so thankful that I found him and he helped me. If you find a good one I highly recommend it for neck and back problems!

I used to call them charlatans... Until I started going to one to relieve some neck pain. But finding the right one is key!

I had a good experience when I was younger a chiropractor did help decompress my lumbar disc injury and relieved my sciatica. I went four years ago for a severe shoulder/neck pain after doctors told me they couldn't do anything for me. I have had two numb fingers in my left hand ever since and the pain took a month to go away on its own after one horrible chiropractic "adjustment" I now use a Teeter Inversion Table daily for decompression and the feeling in my fingers is finally starting to feel normal again. Never Chiropractic, Always Inversion Table!

Don't believe I've ever heard of chiropracters being called witch doctors before. That's a new one to me.

If you hit a curb with your vehicle and your steering is out of balance, you take your car to a mechanic to have it realigned. If you have an accident which jars your body enough to throw your skeletal and muscular structures out of alignment, you go to a chiropracter to have it straightened out.

Seems perfectly logical to me, but to each their own, I guess.

Anything you can try before surgery is worth it. I can tell you if you find a good one, and you keep the appointments, it'll make you ache and sore at first, but you'll notice improvements over time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1471
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.