Agnostic.com

5 5

LINK Losing Earth: The Decade We Almost Stopped Climate Change

Yep I remember it was all the rage 30 years ago that climate change would get worst.

Long read (I haven't finish reading yet)

Lukian 8 Aug 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You'll probably be dead in 10 or so years.... the end of the Anthropocene .

You can't stop climate change. It changed countless times before us humans existed. How arrogant is it to think us little insignificant humans think WE can control a planet. Yes, I'm all for not polluting the Earth. Volcanos produce way more greenhouse gases then man does. But do we try and keep them from doing so? No, of course not. That would be silly to even think it. To me, the folks who think we can control climate change make as much sence as the flat Earth folks. It goes against the laws of physics. What does a drop of water do in zero G? It becomes perfectly spherical. Rock under enough mass and gravity will do the same.

I'm trying to follow but your argument is all over the place.
I had posted a long thread here about the math behind CO2 emissions (I will will dif it up if you challenge it) which demonstrates clearly that it requires 10 gas fill-up of an average car to release 1 ton of Carbon dioxide in the atmosphere all of which was sequestered in the ground until is was combusted. How many fill-ups has been done since the automobile has been invented. Now add power generation, heating, etc.
Human CO2 emission has long been overtaking natural causes.
On top of that problem, deforestation is at an all time high.

@DavidBurland it's not just one event.

We had a showing of the film series "Years of Living Dangerously" [imdb.com] I was asked to give a short statement before one of the series. I said the Climate Change was not a problem! I said it was a symptom of a bigger problem.In all my years of being in various environmental groups, taking courses and participating in events I have come to see Climate Change is one of many issues that are all interconnected. My recent posting of the pandemic risk is one such problem. In one group we would say if we humans don't manage our numbers and actions voluntarily nature will do it for us and she will.

@Morganfreeman I don't care if you don't share in the opinion of the article nor anybody else in the thread but not being understood doesn't help your cause.

I'm surprised at the timeline. I don't remember having any inkling of such a thing happening until 1989. Great report but, utltimately, meaningless since we turned a blind eye. I believe our species, along with 70% of others, will be gone by 2100. Major thinning will start occuring around 2035.

god lord, I am dumbfounded at how much the growth in Scientific illiteracy has become.

It is disheartening, yes.

I agree. It is particularly funny to see how often people follow what they believe to be true rather than what evidence has proven to be true. Ironic on a website for agnostics to see how many other superstitions are still ruling over the science. Ah well, man had a good run and whatever is left will probably adapt.

@Iowaguitar yep this will not be the end of the world or nature just mankind fulfilling one condition of the Fermi's paradox: civilization annihilation.

I try to look for natural causes for issues and the big problem I see here is that evolution tends toward complexity. This complexity has made things too difficult for people to understand. Years ago I took part in a group known as the Whidbey Institute and a book discussion by a couple that had just published a book titled "Common Fire" [earthlight.org] (Note the interesting names of the 2 main authors). In the discussion they mentioned several things: that things continue to get so complex specialties become the norm which keep people from seeing the big picture. (I once worked for an accounting firm and went to one of the managers for a question on my personal income tax. She told me she dealt with non-profits and didn't know personal taxes and even had someone else do hers). Also, the population will continue to grow and that the need for jobs becomes paramount to everything else. Sound familiar?

@DavidBurland no sure. things are dire but not all life is in danger of ending.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:147260
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.