Agnostic.com

7 0

Do you struggle with depression? How do you cope?

Gunnsmith57 3 Jan 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't struggle with depression I enjoy it and the 27 voices in my head.

I am prone to anxiety, suffered a little with depression from time to time, I didn't regard it as mental illness or anything, life was crap and I just had to work through it.

Music and philosophy, mainly, though in the past I've tried a few anti-depressants with varying degrees of success.

I just try to constantly stay busy, catching up with people, rehearsing with my musical projects, writing. If I can keep my mind firing on all cylinders, I don't have time to let depressing thoughts sneak in.

CBT/DBT, mindfulness meditation. Feeling Good: the new mood therapy by Dr. David D. Burns (maybe a little dated now but it's foundational to CBT and groundbreaking for it's time).

Personally, I just had some mild depression for a time as a teen. Never needed meds for it. Getting some breathing space away from my insanely religious parents helped, as did coming to terms with my sexual identity issues (yeah, that).

There's depression, and then there's depression. Some symptoms can arise out of situational factors, not only predetermined neurochemistry. Sometimes depression is hardwired in. Either way, talking helps..look for a thoughtful, sympathetic listener, some feedback.

If you believe your depressed mood relates to specific life experiences or situations, a relevant peer support group can be a great help.

If you are struggling with day to day coping, you should seriously consider seeing someone professionally. At least mention your concerns to your primary care doctor and seek a referral. Severe depression or even moderate but stubborn depression is often best treated with medication.

Roughly 40% of the public qualifies as clinically depressed at some point in life, so there really should be no shame about it. Ignoring it is not the answer.

Yes I have-chemical imbalance requires meds.

I study reality through science. Sincerely... it helps. Best wishes.

skado Level 9 Jan 13, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14807
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.