Agnostic.com

10 1

Insomnia

Any other insomniacs out there? What do you do to try combating your inability to get to sleep?

Sadoi 7 Jan 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh yeh, i think a lot of pe ople are.
I get up 3 or 4 times every night.

I don't just get up. Im wide, freakin, awake! I just sit there. I do everything i am supposed to do but after hours of staring at blackness, i will give in and flick the TV on... get on line. I mean... whats the point? If im going to be awake, I might as well get some studying in for school or for my own pleasure. Seems like a waste to stare at the darkness in my room for 8 hours when I could easily take tha same 8 hrs and be productive with it. Hence, why im taking Seconds this coming week and why Im almost always on this site late at night. lol

@Sadoi I too have the tv on, or music.

@SilverDollarJedi sadly, you can almost say im a "professional student" considering how many years I have spent in higher education. Hence, no matter how little i sleep, i still manage to be a pro in my profession. lol! i am currently carrying a 4.3 gpa at the moment. This severe insomnia began around... circaaa... 1994... 1995ish...? its been going on a looong long time. 😉

@SilverDollarJedi btw, you are Quite the nice guy. thank you for you concern and suggestions. it does not go unnoticed. 🙂

@Sadoi I'm up now too... 😉

@Buddha oh god, buddha (heey oh god buddha sounds like a horrible remake of the george burns "Oh God Book 2!) Why are we SO CURSED??

@Sadoi I liked that movie especially the church scene... lol

@Buddha I cannot remember Oh God. I think I liked it? haha

@SilverDollarJedi maybe that's a reason you have a hard time falling asleep? Always thinking about something...
You know, I tried sleepy time tea, And it may have helped a bit.. but, alot of wild dreams. Lol

@SilverDollarJedi
Now thats a dream !
Once I dreamt that I was young, think and really in shape,
When I woke up I was fat and old again !!! Lol

Onanism helps

perhaps, if i did that, but i dont. When i am not in a relationship, i am fully celibate. you probably think im joking or in denial, but i have no shame in my game if i did do that, which most people do, but I do not. Never have. So when I am single, I am TOOOTALLY single. All doors shut. All entries are closed. 😉 its always been this way for me. I know. Im a weirdo. I get it. haha

@Sadoi Up to you but it is not a sin lol

I take 10 mg of ambien and hydroxyzine 50 mg only keeps me out like 4 hours have tried valerian root, melatonin, kava kava, ashwagandha, high doses of benadryl nothing works, camomile. magnesium. They took me off ambien and for an entire month was climbing the walls slept like 20 or 30 minutes at a time. Have tried brain control techniques. Often times I feel like a zombie I can confer with sleep toroble. I onenc when I was very young stayed awake 7 days straight when I did finally fall asleep back the I slept for 24 hours.

Ive been off and on Ambien, Soma, etc. Yeah, for about 20 years they've tried working with me over this. I've done sleep clinics... you name it! I tried it! Ambien does Zilch for me. I could SERIOUSLY take a dozen of those at once, not die, TRIP BAAALLLS, but never sleep. And im not joking. lol I am Hardcore Sir! Hardcore! smashed fist into palm of hand And yup, yup, yup, yup, yup to that! Last night I was on 5 benadryl man! And still I slept 1 hour! haha! And it was choppy sleep at that! Wow... i think... you might be AS BAD AS ME!! high 5 Azzow, we SUCK!!! glad to feel company on this one... but my question is... where are we going and why are we in this handbasket? haha

@Bam85 I quit drinking so the liquor manufacturers could catch up.

@Sadoi I was living in Pennsylvania at the time has had surgery on my arm ulnar nerve transposition. The medical staff but the bandage on top tight. My arm turned black. Went to the ER the nurse was told to give me 100 cc of demerol . The nurse said in 30 years she had never given 100 cc of any pain medication. She had said that I would be out for 10 hours. Sounded good to me. Chased my girlfriend around for a while at the time tell asleep 3 hours later I was wide awake was going to call the nurse and tell her she lied.

Shouldn't be a problem in the US, they seem to give out powerful benzo's like candy...

tried that. epic failure. i suck, it would seem. lol

@SilverDollarJedi That's mad! Yeah I know the opiates go up to mega powerful. For instance Carfentanil is 10,000 times more power potent than morphine! And Ohmefentanyl is 18,000 times stronger. There are even more powerful Fentanyl analogues being experimented with. Apparently the most powerful would kill an elephant with an amount the size of a grain of sand. Insane. Always wanted to try Oxy's, never managed to get hold of any, here 😟

Use Melatonin.

Hahaha Melatonin is like popping pez candies for me! lol

Hahaha! Try some old fashioned masturabation as well. Or a gallon of whisky, whichever is easiest. Lol.

I am not an insomniac but I sleep late on weekends. Otherwise if I go to bed I sleep in say 5 min

sleeping in is something i havent felt since i was 8 years old! lol

Never had that problem. I'm a very versatile sleeper. I'm pretty sure it's my greatest talent!

skado Level 9 Jan 13, 2018

sigh Lucky 😟 here, have this teardrop... its no use for me now! haha

I had a terrible time getting to sleep in the past, and I had incredible success with a personalized version of counting sheep: my own formulation of counting, mantra, affirmation, breathing meditation, and progressive relaxation.

Starting with my toes: "Excipio somni pacem. (Mentally sung in a Gregorian-like chant.). I invite the peace of sleep to my toes. Peaceful, one. Peaceful, two (with the breath, to ten.). ...My toes are now peaceful. Excipio somni quietus. I invite the restfulness of sleep to my toes. Restful one, restful two...my toes are now restful.". Repeated for ankles, calves, knees, etc. Usually I would not make it past hips.

I tuned in the words, sound, amount of repetition, etc. until I got something that held my attention and didnt move along either too fast or too slowly. It really doesn't matter what you say. Just focus on your breath, key into your body, and train your mind on something just interesting enough to stay on it while dull enough to let you drop off. YMMV.

AH yes! the word game technique was my go to. Like, id name a topic, "Bands from the 70s and 80s" then go through the alphabet naming bands in consecutive order. Or "Colours" "Zoo Animals" "Mixed drinks" hahah!! Instead, I only end up proving to myself that i know a Shit Ton of minutia and trivia that no human should know that much of! lol I Can meditate. Im very well versed in meditation, but I never sleep.

Well counting sheep has never helped, but a few beers always works..

But i do not drink. 🙂 I do not drink alcohol nor caffeine.

5 years working nights made being awake at night as natural as breathing, it would be fine if it weren't for the fact I've now been working days for the last 8 years. I read, write and don't put to much pressure on myself to sleep, I think that ends up counter productive.

Dav87 Level 6 Jan 13, 2018

You know, side note, but whenever i read what you write, these days, i imagine you speaking with your villian accent! haha! okay, yes, i agree. It was similar for me. I also worked my way through college and had 3 jobs at one time so sleep was something i had no time for and eventually everything was flipped around for me to the point that now... i just never sleep. lol or rarely.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14812
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.