Agnostic.com

9 0

Do you see a time in the future when Religion will finally die out and disappear?

What event or process do you feel could precipitate this if any?

Hitchens 8 Aug 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

not really.

I don’t see it happening. There are some people that truly “need” to believe or they can’t manage life. People want to feel as though there is a purpose to life and religion gives that to them. There are times when I was envious of their faith, that they could just let all their cares and worries go and let it be in”god’s hands”, however, I’m too firm of a believer that you have to work for what you want/get and that each person is responsible for their own actions.

I really doubt that it will happen. Religion is an "authority figure" for most of us and people claim they really need that. All religion does is change a bit and get "lighter" because the parental authority figure does the same thing. People tend to go along with how they are brought up. So many believers really do not believe, but they want to believe. This is again why there are so many religions and over 4000 religious denominations.

Indeed....4000 denominations of the ridiculous..??

Thank you.

Unfortunately not. Perhaps, with an attack from aliens from ‘outer space’ … but that’s not going to happen.. It appears to me that many get bored with reality, so they constantly invent shit to ..liven things up. Others glom on to their crazy aspirations - and they’re off!

Also, with time & experience, I’ve come to realize and recognize what a large portion of humanity has some form of mental or personality disorder.. They’re never content, respectful, or comfortable with life … thus use their often enhanced intellect to deceive. But, they’re all someone’s ‘babies,’ thus protected by a code of humanity that attempts to nurture even the worst among us. Weird part, the most nurturing are the first to be ..eliminated by the sick whims of these misfits & malcontents.

As long as mental illness is shoved to the sidelines of humanity, it will come back at us with a vengeance, often in the form of religion.

Varn Level 8 Aug 5, 2018

Yea 1 in 4 of us are nutz at some stage..

Very incitful by the way. Cheers.

There was another article on here the other day which talked about the pre-conditions which allowed society to secularise.

Oops I must have missed that one...??

@Matias

Interesting thanks.

None of my concern.

..then what’s the point of your post, points..?

I think there will always be folks who need the comfort of their delusions, else they can’t cope. I pity them, but it’s their choice.

Christian comfort..goodies going to heaven..badies going to Hell.....

Belief in an after-life keeps them sane they argue..

But I see little evidence for reason or sanity..?

No, because of the current state of the world the low IQ people are procreating more than the high ones. Also, the college debt of pastors/priests causes them to also want money to help them pay for that expense of theirs.

Lol... yes I have heard about that trend alright..
Apparently intelligence is swiftly going out of fashion.. in Germany for example there is mounting concern that ethnic Germans are not reproducing enough children ..and simply have to import workers..who in turn are having much larger families due to both cultural norms and improved economic outlook. This of course is not necessary an IQ deficit..but certainly changes outcomes in the ballot box for the future.

Personally I think we're in for a major collapse of civilization in the next 200 years and I hate to say it but if that happens religion will come back in full force

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:148270
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.