Agnostic.com

8 3

QUESTION Does gender matter? | Nature

The gender disparity in science has always perplexed as well as frustrated me.

As a scientist, I am a harsh critic of data. Opinions don't matter. Anecdotes don't matter. The "appeal to emotion" fallacy doesn't matter. I don't care about that meme, or that YouTube, even that your mother's, best friends, uncle's cousin's doctor who works at the "super big Institute of astounding advancements" says it's true.

All I care about is evidence. I don't care if that evidence was presented by someone with an "innie" or an "outie" below the belt. You can be a tripple PhD and still be dead wrong, even in your own field. Most scientists I know are the same way. Given our attitudes towards research, evidence and data, the fact that gender makes any difference at all is ironic and frankly unscientific.

As much as I hate anecdotal testimonies, I went out of my way to experience being a woman online and created Amalia Stange. Lemme tell you, Baby was put in a corner more times than I could count. I was condescended, ad hominem attacked if I dared speak out against anyone with the Sacred penis, had rape threats and soooo many dick pics. Jeebus Cleetus! WTF is it with men and their dick picks? You'd think they used them as currency at the flea market. And I baited them too. As a woman I would post some research. I'd get mansplained and dismissed until a man came to my defense. My knights in shining armor <puke>. A few days later I'd post the same research in another forum as my regular self and had meaningful scientific dialogue. As a man the conversation was mostly scientific.

Don't get me wrong, I get told I'm an idiot plenty as a man too. It's just... the tone is different. I dunno. It's hard to explain. You just have to be a woman to understand 😛

ScienceBiker 8 Jan 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Of course gender matters, it shouldn't but it does.

There is a flip side too, as a youth I was shy, uncertain, hated sports, and was generally nerdy.

The aggressive, sports loving guys were the ones that the girls were interested in.

Just saying were are all victims of the craziness of sexual selection. And that sillyness carries over into all other areas of life.

We must choose to do right, not just go on reflex.

I still hate football, however I am a lot less shy, lol.

Don't know how to answer this one. I don't send pictures. I haven't sent pictures. I don't want any
pictures. I figure everyone in here are adults and carry their own weight. I know a few that go out of their way to help someone that they don't even love

Also, I didn’t realize how many Catfish there are out there. Every ‘persona’ you use is one. Regardless of your intent, you are lying about whom you are. Interesting.

Unfortunately, too many men, and a few women, believe that sexual dimorphism is about lesser and greater sexes.

haha, I did have a persona a few years back that was a gay female, no dick picks but offers to convert me to straight. Another is an asexual (ex-nun) marine biologist who is tall attractive but no nonsense, and very aggressive to guys who try and cross the line. A friend of mine lent/gave me a pic of her to use as the profile pic. Got her to give a couple of "talks" for me reading a script I prepared which resulted in some awesome job offers in the field, go figure. Yes gender does make a difference, goes both ways a little, height and shape also, looks in general not to mention wealth.

As a woman I've never received a dick pic. Propositions, Nigerian scammers, and trolls yes.I am not math and science oriented. If women who are will be allowed in the field there could be more advances.

I haven't gotten a dick pick but many very suggestive pics and some explicit ones from women. I get catfished a lot too.

I have to respectfully disagree with your last sentence. Women are welcome in the sciences. I know lots of female engineers and some scientists. I hire lots of women, my priority is competence, not gender identity.

scientists send dick pics!!?? must be low level

Yes, you do !

Although I have found from experience, that while there are always exceptions, if I'm straight forward with men, and don't fall into the "girly" trap of sounding all sweet and overly flattering, I can have a decent online conversation !

I like your interesting "experiment".

@evestrat I don't see it as being "manly" so much as being direct without the frills. We as women, are sometimes guilty of playing those games ...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14865
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.