Agnostic.com

30 1

What is your opinion on capital punishment?

I think whether legally or otherwise, nobody has a right to kill anyone unless of course it's the only way in that situation for self defence or in defence of someone. But that should be a spontaneous action to get better of the situation. Killing in revenge is something even laws do not agree. But the same legal system conducts trial and deliver capital punishment. I do not consider it right to legally kill someone even for the crimes that deserves no pity. What do you think?

• 19 votes
  • 30 votes
Srijith 7 Jan 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We so easily kill for selfishness.

There are many people who need to be removed from society. Permanently. We need to get to it, quit making excuses for their behavior, and stop paying to support them.

If you are against the death penalty, then I think you should be stuck with a few of these people as your responsibility—because I’m not going to allow murders, rapists, and torturers to fuck my life up.

@Annaleda -- If you look at the numbers, I think you might be convinced to change your position, or at least modify it.

Reviewing 15 state studies of death penalty costs conducted between 2000 and 2016, the study found that, across the country, seeking the death penalty imposes an average of approximately $700,000 more in case-level costs than not seeking death. The researchers wrote that "all of these studies have found ... that seeking and imposing the death penalty is more expensive than not seeking it."

Now, add to that the idea that in many cases the death penalty serves as a reward for the convicted. They are getting from the state what they didn't have the courage to do on their own. On a broader note, some of these folks just don't care one way or another. This suggests that the only justice being served is not justice at all, but a satisfying of vengeance for the people close to the victim(s).

I maintain that capital punishment is tantamount to state sponsored murder at the least, and grievous injustice in cases where a mistake has been made (something that does happen), and saying 'we're sorry' just doesn't cut it.

If one is really seeking justice/punishment, then a life sentence sans parole with appropriate labor/self support is worse than giving them what they want and far better than making an error that can't be repaired. If you want statistics and case studies, I'll be happy to supply them.

Thanks for sharing your opinion

@evidentialist thanks for the info

You’re not going to sell me that it’s better to keep them around. Who gives a crap if they want to die or not?

And you’ll never sell me that the mf who killed my child/mother/brother/etc deserves to live. You’ll never sell me that the mf who rapes my child/mother/brother/etc deserves a second chance. You’ll never sell me that the mf who bombed that nightclub/church/etc deserves to live.

It is applied discriminately. Decriminalize victimless crimes and give killers,
pedophiles, and human traffickers life sentences and we will have plenty of space without the death sentence.

For take a lesson from Norway.
[businessinsider.com]

Wow.

I'm not in favor of punishment, capital or otherwise. It's a short term solution to a long term problem. Destructive people need to be restrained and retrained, but I don't think punishment produces anything but resentment. Animal trainers have learned that they get faster and more consistent results with positive reinforcement than with negative, but for humans we don't just want to teach them; we want to "teach them a lesson"!

skado Level 9 Jan 13, 2018

Nice way to look at it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I think they should kill crinimals with a rap sheet but I don’t think we should execute first time offenders as the system is flawed and they’d kill to many innocent people. I have no problem killing repeat offenders especially drug dealers, rapist, murderers, robbers and thieves.

Even if that meant a disproportionate amount of executed minorities because of the disparity in the arrest/conviction to crime ratio?

@JeffMurray If they have a rap sheet they had plenty of opportunities to mend they’re ways.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14881
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.