Agnostic.com

1 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's tempting from where we sit to say, well at least we don't rip people's hearts out or feed them wine from the wrong end ... but just because we have in some ways crawled a bit further out of that deep hole of ignorance and superstition doesn't mean someone won't be sitting here in a few hundred years saying of us, well, at least we don't have infants represent themselves in immigration hearings.

It's also good to bear in mind that accounts by the first Conquistadors describe Mayan and Aztec cities far greater than anything found in Europe at that time. The Mayans covered their noses with nosegays of herbs to cover the stink from the unwashed Spanish who had terrible hygiene. The horse, gun powder, Toledo steel and most importantly European diseases that the New World residents had no immunity to were the key components to the Spanish Conquest of the New World. As a civilization the Europeans were actually quite inferior to the Aztecs and Mayans.

@Surfpirate I bet you've read Guns, Germs & Steel. If you haven't, I know you'd like it.

@Carin Twice

@Surfpirate Me too! His newer one was good too. The title escapes me at the moment.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:149505
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.