Agnostic.com

7 3

LINK Evolution, religion, and why it’s not just about lack of scientific reasoning ability - On Biology

What does the data mean?

There is not a deficit in an underlying ability to reason that causes religious people to reject evolution. Our data clearly shows that individuals can be highly adept at scientific reasoning and still reject evolution (most likely on religious grounds). Our data also shows that one can be severely lacking in scientific reasoning ability and still accept evolution. It appears from this study that worldview (or religion), not intelligence, is the main driver of this decision.

zblaze 7 Aug 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Humans are basically social herd animals who go along to get along. Some of the most intelligent people I have known have had mythical beliefs. It's not easy to leave your childhood indoctrination behind, especially if it also means you have to leave your friends and family behind, as well.

That kind of behavior is moere than adequately explained by Erich Fromm in his book, ESCAPE FROM FREEDOM.

Religion is not about data, for many its internal conviction. Art is not about data. It can be an internal dialogue which responds outside of the touch and feel empirical environment. Music is not about data. It can move and inspire without the need for rational explanation. If one totally relied on rationale, music and art would be reduced to notes on stave and lines on a canvas. But clearly they are more than that. Rationale only takes us so far along the road. Obviously I am not denying evolution. I am challenging the argument that human experience stops at reason.

I suspect that for most religious folk the main concern it to be aligned with the other members of their group. The details of the doctrine are of secondary importance. In other words, tribal affiliation over substance. And since they spend a lot of time together in the same bubble and there is confirmation bias they become very entrenched in their beliefs. The indoctrination process starts early in life and offers a catechism comprised of easy-to-remember stories and attractively easy answers to knotty questions. It all adds up to a mindset that is remarkably resistant to outside influences. And yet people leave the fold every day. Something clicks and suddenly logic and reason are more important than tribal affiliation. That is reason for hope. ?

The comment "identity and ideology" sums it up for me. Once my nephew asked my late partner why one become a vegetarian. She was the director of the elementary school he went to when he was young so he respected her thoughts. Afterward he said he could never be a vegetarian and she responded you don't want to be a vegetarian and he agreed. I think one can talk themselves out of some ideas they don't want to see. For the religious it's called fear!

It is really hard to study biology without the concept of evolution.

I can see it. I mean, I very much lack scientific reasoning but I know evolution is a thing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:149530
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.