Agnostic.com

7 1

God but not man's religion?

For years I have been agnostic teetering on athiest. My question is based on uncertainty.. I believe in science and the universe and I feel more comfortable with humanism than religion. I don't believe the teaching of the Bible but who am I to say that a higher power didn't create the big bang and all the other aspects of our limited knowledge of creation that science has provided. I get "god shots" at times in my life that anyone else would explain them supernatural but I blow it off as coincidence. I want to believe I am not the end all to my decisions and am open to the possibility that there is something bigger than us but what is unkown.

PacNWTexan 2 Aug 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Do you mean the god of the gaps?

"I get "god shots" at times in my life that anyone else would explain them supernatural but I blow it off as coincidence."

Can you explain what you mean here? You've lost me on this one. Thanks.

As far as physicality is concerned, we are relatively tiny specks on a small rock ball with space around us filled with larger stars and structures. Even on Earth there are things bigger than us, like the whales. I don’t think we are particularly significant.

We are the actual gods..any supernatural things you see happening are from YOU.

Physics indicates that we are participating in creating our own universes/reality.

“I regard consciousness as fundamental and matter as derivative from consciousness." – Max Planck, theoretical physicist who originated quantum theory, 1918 Nobel Prize in Physics

I feel there might be something out there too but it's not the patriarch with the beard anymore. It's more the Eastern cosmic consciousness.

There is nothing wrong in saying you are uncertain. We are all looking for the big answers to whether there is anything else or not. So far I have not seen any evidence that there is anything else beyond this life, but that could change if proof presented itself. It is really only religious people who talk of certainty, the certainty that God exists, but they can never show any evidence for this assertion so it renders it invalid.

I have to admit, I talk of certainty that no gods exist, but I have to be fair and admit my starting premises are often different than other people's, so the argumentation which convinces me often would not convince them.

you want to believe you are not the end all to your decisions? you mean you want to believe there is some purpose to it all, or you want to believe that there is a guiding force behind some of it?

it is natural to seek agency, it's a survival mechanism. And we know that ordered and structured things are created by minds, so when we see order and structure in the world we tend to attribute it to a mind, but it's actually not solid reasoning. the fact that some things which have structure are created by a mind does not necessitate all structure requiring a mind to exist.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:151187
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.