Agnostic.com

7 1

LINK What the early church thought about God's gender

The Episcopal Church has decided to revise its 1979 prayer book, so that God is no longer referred to by masculine pronouns.

The prayer book, first published in 1549 and now in its fourth edition, is the symbol of unity for the Anglican Communion. The Anglican Communion is the third largest Christian communion founded in 1867. While there is no clear timeline for the changes, religious leaders at the denomination’s recent triennial conference in Austin have agreed to a demand to replace the masculine terms for God such as “He” and “King” and “Father.”

Indeed, early Christian writings and texts, all refer to God in feminine terms.

zblaze 7 Aug 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

the two synagogues i've been to in my city have prayer books that avoid gender in referring to god too. this is not so much an update for the times as an update to be more in line with the noncorporeal, nongenderic nature of the jewish god.

g

Reminds me of various Buddhist dieties or sub-dieties who were once male and are now female, or vice-versa.
In the Buddhist case, it's because they were assimilated into the religion when it moved into an area and took over as the predominant religion.

Local gods, now deemed lesser dieties, were assigned roles as arhats or bodhisattvas, and sometimes switched genders based on the needs of the religion.

Given the way women are, at the very least, marginalized throughout the bibble, there's no way god was a female type. That would be ridiculous.

Mooha Level 4 Aug 11, 2018

who gives a shit what the church thinks, its a double negative argument, and has no meaning to start with

What early Christian writings and texts are you referring to?

Click on the link, it will tell you. This is an excerpt from the article. I apologize if you thought I wrote it....

@zblaze Thanks for that ?

They killed off Lilith a long time ago. Male dominance maybe along with fear of things that are plainly called Pagan today.

What the hell does God need a dick for?

godef Level 7 Aug 9, 2018

So he can jerk off while the world burns.

@Bobby9 But he has the whole creation for that ?!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:151801
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.