Agnostic.com

7 1

Have you ever walked out of an emergency room due to lack of care, slowness of care or other reasons?

There have been times where I am ready to walk out, but then get called at the last minute. I have seen people get so disgruntled that they do in fact walk out. (That is because they can actually walk).

When consulting my son's pediatrician on going to the emergency room to find out if he was a diabetic, his doctor told me to write down "potential diabetic crisis" in the log-in form, as when they see this they will call you immediately. They did.

Does having insurance play a part in the quickness of which you are brought in, or is it really first come first serve-most crucial first? I have also learned that you can make an appointment for an emergency room visit online? Really?
What has been your experience?

MyLiege 7 Jan 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Triage in Veterans Hospitals are a bit more attuned to preventing mortality for older vets but remarkably poor on psychiatric emergency. ...so veterans who walk out are too often suicidal

Yes I have

yes a couple of times, a few of them to try another hospital or find a doctor somewhere, a couple of times gave up and had to make do ourselves. We do have private hospitals here with A&E, you have to be wealthy or have good private cover. Generally an ambulance takes you to a public hospital.

Yes I have ....... I had a deep cut in my thumb pad and waited for at least four hours and decided to tell them I was going home, the nurse said, wait and I will close the cut with a number of " tie across plasters " She told me to see my doctor next day. I did and he said it is too good to disturb, forget it.

Another disturbing occasion was when I took my granddaughter in to A&E in agony, after being X rayed at another doctors. They detected constipation, the A&E assumed this to be the case.
After 5 hours of waiting I approached the nurse 4 times and was told to wait. Eventually they relented and admitted her. She turned out to have a strangulated ovary, which had died and was black She was operated on and recovered successfully. NEVER ASUME AN X RAY IS SHOWING THE TRUE PROBLEM.....TAKE A BLOOD TEST FOR INFECTION, .

If I am in an emergency room I usually am not able to walk out. I usually arrive via ambulance. Last time 3 years ago-yay.

I broke my elbow a few months ago when I fell coming out of work. The company Dr. told me to go to the emergency room for an x-ray. When I got there, the room was packed. It was about 6:30 pm. I checked in and sat for a little while. But I've made many trips to the ER not just for myself but my kids and grandkids. I know how long you can sit there. I went to the desk and let them know I was going home and the attendant told me to come back around 4:00 am. I would get right in then. So that's what I did. It went very well then!

I have been in an emergency room twice in my life, once each in two different cities. No problem.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15209
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.