Agnostic.com

9 0

LINK Boris Johnson's burka jibe: Why do some Muslim women wear the veil? - BBC News

Moslem female face veils are now being banned for use in Public places around Europe.

Do you feel that this is an unfair Religious discrimination against Islam..or time that Moslems respect the customs of the cultures they inhabit?

Hitchens 8 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think anyone should be allowed to wear whatever tickles their fancy. However, public nudity is not allowed. Perhaps nudist should register as a religion and then claim exemption from the prohibition.

A torough debate is needed. In France a woman wearing a burkini on the beach was forced by police to remove it.

In Austria a guy went to the high court to fight for his right to wear a colander in the photo for his driver licence. He claimed that it is religious headgear worn by the pastafarians. According to Austrian law people wearing headgear for religious reasons are allowed to keep it on for the photo.

I would say privileges should not be granted because of religion ... there might still be religions practising human sacrifices.

Respect the culture of the country you're in. We have to respect theirs when we visit so.......it should be a two way street.

And while we are at it, let's ban nuns' habits as well. Just too much black material.

People should Mind Their Own Business!! How is this any different, or "smarter" than the recent attempted ban on low-riding pants on men?

I didnt know about that pants ban Anne..
I agree with it though..

@Hitchens none of your or my business!

I personally have called the police on men with low riding pants. It's indecent and lewd and does NOT belong in public. One guy was walking down the street and his pants were so low that every step he took I could see his penis in the opening in the front of his boxers. The police showed up, told him to pull up his pants, he acted the fool and they arrested him. Hopefully he learned his lesson. But I doubt it.

@SkotlandSkye

Ha ha.. first class well done!

Bad boys..bad boys...whatcha ye gonna do..when they come for you..??

I mean there are children walking down the streets too..I don't want my girls seeing that nonsense..
And I'm no prude!

Some people saying it's none of our business??

@SkotlandSkye, @AnneWimsey

It becomes your business when your kids have to see that obscenity..trust me.

@Hitchens It's my business when I have to see it. But, yes, parents should protest also. Men who wear their pants like that are no different than "flashers"...anyone who exposes themselves to others without their consent is guilty of sexual assault.

@SkotlandSkye

I love the human body..don't get me wrong..but there's a time and a place...its deffo not in the street in broad daylight..

@Hitchens the man you described deserved what he got! The actual fashion was non-opening decoratively patterned boxers just showing above the pants, no "flashing" of any kind

@AnneWimsey

Ok Anne.. I can understand that.

The Burka is a cultural phenomenon from the middle East. Women in Indonesia and other parts of the world who practice Islam do not wear it.

Yes I know..its not even specific to Islam just a hard line position taken to bring it's wearer closer to Allah..

@Hitchens so strange they think it will bring them closer. My mother's family were Muslim. They only wore headscarves

@GreatNani

I think they believe Allah will favour them as good Moslems for going the extra mile..so to speak..probably similar to my mother going to Catholic mass twice a week..she thought it would bring her closer to God....
I do believe that at least some of these women feel under pressure to keep up with other Moslem woman doing the same...

It has spread beyond the Middle east and into parts of Africa, including the mostly Christian Kenya and other central areas. Especially with Al Shabob.

@Hitchens absolutely social pressure for some. I believe they should be allowed to do what they like. It is not up to us to prescribe a dress code. Just super glad I don't have to do it!

@GreatNani

It would be a shame to hide your pretty face..life is too short to hide beauty. Thanks Nani. ?

It was a witty comment. I'm also thinking "when in Rome" but maybe it's a bit much when someone's faith is involved. I think a ban should only be considered in time of martial law.

I think your "When in Rome" view is perfectly valid Bren...I mean when you go to Dubai or Ryiadh you can't go out and have a drink..you can't show public displays of affection to your own wife..and she has to be covered up..in that heat..and that's just to start with..don't tell anyone you are an "apostate"..

But they want sharia law introduced in the west?

No..the head scarf is one thing ..but the veiled Burkha has to go...IMO.

@Hitchens you are right about Sharia law being horrible. I will never defend it, but remember it is a version of Abrahanic law and here, we need to defend against evangelicals trying to impose that. Granted there are differences, apostates and gays and other sinners aren't going to have their heads chopped off, not yet anyway, but they would surely support many things similar in places and parts of Sharia.

@Hitchens I think it can be very frustrating that these guys get to call the shots in both their own countries and ours. I put it down to a peculiar time in history where kowtowing to Muslim sensibilities is both an acknowledgement of our past sins against them and also a ruse for cheap labour. I feel confident that it won’t last. The pendulum has swung to an extreme and when its proper time comes, it will swing back just as hard. I don’t think I’ll be around when it happens. I sometimes think that Enoch Powell was right about ‘the rivers of blood’ and what he got wrong was that it won’t just be an English problem, it will be international and of course, that it will take a lot longer than he thought.

@brentan

When I first heard the rivers of blood speach I was somewhat shocked by the rhetoric....at the time I heard it...

But as time went by I realised how brave and incitful his speach was..I don't know what his agenda or motivation was..but I think he realised that many British colonies were populated by people that could assimilate into British culture..but he knew that Moslems would not assimilate..could not..

Why? Not because of race..but because of creed..they would never mingle..never mix..never integrate..this is a major problem.

Moslems tend to live in huge pockets ..self imposed isolation from other religions..some of them don't even come into frequent contact with other British people..

They are becoming mini states around Europe too demanding Sharia law.

Maybe he was right..only time will tell..

I don’t think any woman wearing a burka wants to, maybe the hijab, but the burka, I highly doubt it. They do look like letter boxes walking about, those poor woman😟 I don’t like Boris mind you, I just agree with that part lol

Look a bit closer..they are just empty bus seats ?

Or a letter box tour of the city..

I would guess many, in certain countries would rather not wear them. But if you were raised that way, I'm sure many just accept with no complaints. Now the women in Morocco and Iran prefer head scarves akin to the types worn by Jackie O. Just look to religious sects in the U.S. like the Amish and other strict clothing wearers. Granted they have no burka, but definitely cover a lot of skin and do wear head bonnets.

@Beowulfsfriend

Yea..but the Amish don't walk into a church and blow themselves up. I get what you are saying..but this is about identifying male and female suspects from a practical point of view..remember men have dressed in full burkhas to avoid detection before triggering suicide belts..females too...its something that Europeans are concerned about happening here..thus the laws and fines.

I agree with him and liberals who claim to care about women's rights should stop defending such a backwards piece of patriarchal control.

I think they should be banned.
First, they are a symbol of discrimination and oppression of women.
Religion and religious garments/adornments should be confined to private homes and specific places of worship.
No one should be permitted to hide their faces from CCTV in public places except in severe weather (cold) in which case ski masks are fine outdoors but not indoors.

Yes I agree absolutely..there can be no reasonable excuse religious or otherwise to continue this medieval nonsense. Thanks.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:152141
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.