Agnostic.com

79 6

Do you use religious terms sprinkled throughout our language?

In the past, people confronted me with the supposition that if I use expressions which use religious references, I am not agnostic. I disagree, and wrote a FB post about it at the time.

Which of these expressions do you hesitate to use, assuming they fit your dialect? Which do you use by accident?

Bless you, after a sneeze
Bless you, to indicate good will
Jesus Christ, as an expression of frustration
Jesus fucking Christ, if you swear in other circumstances
God damn you
Dammit
Go to Hell
God knows, as in no one knows
Heaven on earth, or seventh heaven
Heavens, as an expression of surprise
Thank God, as an expression of relief
Oh my God, as expression of surprise

Are there any other phrases in the dialect you share, which you avoid or try to avoid?

LionMousePudding 6 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

79 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

your question almost warrants a PhD in applied linguistics ... i wonder How perversive other Religions are. You should read Asterix & Obelix. The authors transposed these Religions reference to the Roman religio-linguistic background replacing all references.

I do have one bachelors’ and two masters’ degrees in Linguistics. However, my question is only of people here: to find out how agnostics in this group feel about using religious terms in everyday language, and whether it makes them uncomfortable either to use terms both from religion and literally meaningless without religion. That is, ‘heaven’ has one main meaning that religios agree on and we laugh at; ‘Heaven help us’ has another meaning which can be used secularly as a phrase.

We have each answer that interests me here. Some (fewer than I imagined) DO try to avoid religious language. Some use it on purpose to annoy religios. And most just use is because it is simply our language, who cares where the words come from.

In other words this IS applied (socio-)linguistics!

Any awkward turns of phrase above are entirely blamable on the baby rat racing around on the bed with me ?????

@LionMousePudding I am a staunch atheist but a culltural christian. Many expressions that imply religiosity at face value have been stripped of their religious essence. For me an expression like "God forbid I am an athesit" is not an oximoron.
Staunch believers are far more likely to avoid expressions that might allude to the value system of another religion or atheism.

@LionMousePudding I must admit that I systematically refuse to use religious titles, e.g. father, brother, sister ... but I am equally reluctant to use military titles.

@PontifexMarximus I use sister for myself when I have to choose a prefix.. to Hell with prefixes, why do forms insist on them?! .. and I am my sister's sister, anyway! ??

I use:
"Jesus Christ," as an expression of frustration or surprise
"God damn it"
"Oh my God" or "Holy shit," as an expression of surprise

Is "Dammit" actually a religious term? It doesn't seem like it has any religious connotation to it.

It is God who damns. Mortals do not have the power. So saying dammit still means God dammit. Of course it is blasphemous in the sense that one is telling God what to do!

@LionMousePudding I disagree. Anyone can "damn" anyone else. If you google the word, there's a "Christian belief" definition and another. Synonyms include condemn, criticize, attack, and denounce. People can do those things, not just a fake deity.

I also use "damn it" and "shit" interchangeably, so I'm just using it as the exclamation definition. haha

@joeymf86 I am only answering your question as to whether it is a religious term. Many or most of these phrases will have the vernacular usages in the dictionary

I tried for a while to exorcise them from my vocabulary, but it was too much. They're simply too ingrained in me as exclamations. But I have tried to switch to "Salut!" when people sneeze. I'm not trying to bless anybody, even in German.

When I hear someone say “bless you” when I sneeze, I ask them to save their blessings for the children laying sick in hospitals. Or in cases where I know the person is catholic, I ask them to instead bless the children raped by priests. ?

Gesundheit means health.

The actual tradition in German is a bit more complicated.

"Gesundheit" (health) is what one says after the FIRST sneeze.

After the second sneeze one says "Glück" (luck).

And after the third sneeze you say "und ein langes Leben" (and a long life).

We simply demand health over and over. It is because we need single payer health care!

@LionMousePudding Ah, thanks for the correction, my apologies.

Been using Jesus Christ in frustration or surprise for about 55 years, mimicked from my parents (Jewish)

Been using Jesus Fucking Christ more and more as my health worsens, must be his fault right? 🙂

Not sure why damnit is religious (because only religious people can be damned????) But also have used that for about 55 years

But their argument makes about as much sense as saying if you use the word Kibbitz you must be Jewish. If you say "voila!" you must be French etc.

lerlo Level 8 Aug 10, 2018

Only God can damn! ??

@LionMousePudding Jesus Christ I stand corrected! 🙂

@lerlo Damn well better!

I like the Jesus fucking Christ, unfortunately I rarely have the opportunity to use it.

Gosh I use it all the time! You must lead a very calm life ???? because that is what I say any time when I am frustrated or annoyed ????

... and then I like to say "that's divine masturbation."

@LionMousePudding cursing and swearing exert some weird, rough charm.

I also use “amen” as a confirmation. I do try to replace those sayings with others, but it has been in grained in me since I was a child. It’s a habit, not religious.

saying 'Amen' is probably better than responding with 'Om Shiva'.

@DerekD Why?

My ex wife used to say "Oh my god oh my god oh my god" as she orgasmed, I thought she meant me.

????

I do not use any of those terms.

Why?

@LionMousePudding At one time I did. Long ago a good friend noted using the terms specific to their fantasy world pays credence to their faith based belief structure. I have managed to replace all those saying with equally colourful and graphic) secular phrases.

Not so much anymore. I used to . One I use often is Holy Houdini. Lol

By choice? Why?

@LionMousePudding I just don't want to use those phrases. I've always been very conscious about my language. I believe the words you use certainly expresses your level of intelligence.

Habits are slow to die. One I do use a lot is "good lord."

You could change that up and say “oh lord of darkness”. ?

That is indeed a very good example. I say it too

God damnt to fucking holy hell no, never.

'Jesus Christ on a Bicycle' is always a good one too!

I use thoughts and prayers to rile people up. Does that count?

why should it? You're not really doing anything at all 🙂

Jesus Fucking Christ is a favorite.
As is holy shit.

That's divine masturbation ??

I say a lot of religious phrases despite not believing.

"Oh god" "for God's sake" "Jesus christ"

But I've always said gesundheit instead of bless you

depending on whether or not I am at work, I'll either say 'Oh, for Gods sake', or 'Oh, for fucks sake' as needed.

I use Holy Shit a lot.

Seriously, words are words. When/if I do say them, it's out of habit.

I do use "thank the Gods" just to piss of Christians since they insist there is only one true God.

My dad cussed whenever he worked on a car. As I had kids, i realised I was apt to do the same thing so I created my own curse word to call cantankerous pieces of machines. Ubiquitous Whore. I found saying that at inanimate objects helped keep me from using any reference to god.

Whoa, better to use a term maligning women who have sex, than use play language? To me that is by far the wrong direction!

I didn't really use those expressions when I was religious. I make it a point not to use them now, but due slip out on ocassion. For some people it's force of habit and not implying religious bs.

Most, I would say.

Jesus tap dancing Christ yes!

Fantastic!

Having been brought up Catholic and had cousins and uncles who were nuns or priests, I was told that "damn" is derived from God damn and is just as bad because when saying it you arr invoking or inciting God to send someone or something to Hell to suffer eternal damnation.
And remember, I'm just the messenger, and I'm signed up on this site too...

I am glad to see agreement

My mom got her habit from her father, who would only say "damnation" when I nowadays would say fuck. "It's not a swear, it's a state of being" was their excuse!

I was raised in a religious household and yes those phrases were used a lot, they are engrained in my reactive response vocabulary. I've only been atheist for about a year now and every now and then I catch myself and try to switch phrases out with something that doesn't have anything to do with "God" or "Jesus".

I've gotten good at omitting "God" in front of "dammit", cutting the reactive exclamation "Jesus Christ" down to "geez", and switching a lot out for "fuck".

i've gone the opposite way and expanded on Jesus Christ. I think the longest I've gone is "Jesus Horatio Motherfucking Christ on a fucking cracker"

But it is a work in progress 😉

I am a life-long non-believer in anything having o do with the supernatural or paranormal. Very early in my life (I was born in 1944 so it has been a while) I argued with cousins about Santa Claus. My logic was simple. I knew reindeer didn't fly and felt that fact alone discredited the whole program from square one.

Being born in North Carolina it was normal to pick up utterances such as Heaven knows or Thank god for or that and a rash of such simpleton horse manure. I was a skeptic even before I knew the word or concept, and when I did I thought, "that's what i am" and adopted both immediately. It wasn't long before I also adopted agnostic and eventually that morphed to atheist.

I tell people I'm a "card-carrying atheist" and then hand them my calling card that has "ATHEOS" under my name, with my cell # and address. I lead two atheist Meet Up sites and meet with fellow atheists every Sunday afternoon. Denton Atheist and Wise Free Thinkers and Skeptics; do a search for the terms.

When I came out as an atheist some 40-years ago, I decided then it was ridiculous to have such phrases in my vocabulary and began a private effort to rid myself of that trash and I'm pleased to report I was successful.

Also a question if I may; When you make a new friend whom you think is smart, intelligent or sharp are you disappointed to learn that are religious? I am.

Ken Hughes

I got in trouble in kindergarden for telling my classmates Santa Claus was not real!

More
Goddamn you to Hell
I pray to God, as desperate hope
I wish to God, as strong desire
Christian, as descriptive of moral behavior
God help me, as expression of hoping to control your behavior;
Hellish, as in awful

I don't avoid religious speak. Its nothing more than colloquial vernacular with nothing reverental involved. I will say, " my hand to Jesus/heaven/god" but I also say things like "Jesus fuck" "jumping jesus on a pgo stick", etc.

I use Jesus Christ, but you have to say it like this:

I use “god damn it” and “god fucking damn it” quite often. I also use “aww hell” and “hell yeah” a lot.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:152428
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.