Agnostic.com

79 6

Do you use religious terms sprinkled throughout our language?

In the past, people confronted me with the supposition that if I use expressions which use religious references, I am not agnostic. I disagree, and wrote a FB post about it at the time.

Which of these expressions do you hesitate to use, assuming they fit your dialect? Which do you use by accident?

Bless you, after a sneeze
Bless you, to indicate good will
Jesus Christ, as an expression of frustration
Jesus fucking Christ, if you swear in other circumstances
God damn you
Dammit
Go to Hell
God knows, as in no one knows
Heaven on earth, or seventh heaven
Heavens, as an expression of surprise
Thank God, as an expression of relief
Oh my God, as expression of surprise

Are there any other phrases in the dialect you share, which you avoid or try to avoid?

LionMousePudding 6 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

79 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Especially when I'm on the golf course.........

Well, one thing is what I say and another thing what I meant. I use some of (those) out of habit but they don't mean much...... I don't say bless at all but I do use the occasional go to hell...hell yeah !!!

i would use all and still no the god myth is just that anyone trying to tie me into some sort of belief would lose that argument

It's hard nto to use them. They are a part of everyday vernacular and generally understood. I avoid it when i can, but it is so embedded into our language it is unavoidable to not use them completely.

I worked Construction in NYC for 25 years and can never remember hearing one. We cursed forever and frequently but never was the word ingrained into the sentiment.

The thing is they are just words to us and have no meaning except as invective., just a way of letting off steam. We are not committing blasphemy as we are not believers....so keep right on!

Why does it matter? We have Thursday Thor's Day.

Sometimes I say bless you when a person sneezes. I might say omg or God dammit when I read some bad news.

I use religous language in cussing - god damnit etc. I also find myself doing a lightweight “holy Toledo” or “damnation”. My maternal grandfather had a rather ... large vocabulary and I picked up much of it from him.

Ohub Level 7 Aug 10, 2018

I use them all as I choose.

Religion is no more owned by a theist than by an atheist. It is a part of our history and unfortunately present as well. It's just a bunch of made up stories and it's not my problem if some people don't know better than to believe them.

I've been known to toss in a bible reference from time to time. Ugh. It's a Southern thing I guess.

Carin Level 8 Aug 10, 2018

Gawd no! OK, sometimes, but with a lowercase g.

godef Level 7 Aug 10, 2018

I use a lot of them, mostly without much forethought, because it is habit and they have no religious meaning to me. Sometimes I refrain if I think someone might be offended by say, a Jesus Fucking Christ. However, I never say bless you to indicate good will and don't like when others say it to me. Not sure why it is more distasteful, maybe it feels more like the invocation of some spirit.

Also for sneezing I am more in the gesundheit camp, since that is what I heard growing up.

I use all of the above, sprinkled with a lot of f bombs.

A lot of these are really said out of habit. as we're younger you learn to say 'Bless you' after someone sneezes which proves the fact that it could be a religious thing is entirely irrelevant.

Personally I'm trying to get in the habbit of saying these alternatives:
'Oh... your...god!'
'Thank Darwin!'
'Gordon Gecko!'
'Darwin knows how that happened...'

Hope this helps!

Yes. I more use it as a culturally understood expression, though. Like "God dammit" or "Jesus Christ".

I always thought of them that way because I was never religious, so the religious origins of them were lost on me.

I use #4 fairly often. Sometimes a "holy shit" gets thrown in; that's about it.

All the time

Jesus Chris
God help me
For heaven’s sake

Just words

Fills the blanks instead of expletives.

All the time. Sometimes this makes theists angry, but tough. People can believe anything they wish, but I am under no obligation to revere, respect or take seriously the imaginary players of their religion. Therefore, I use all the expletives I feel like, godded or not.

I try to use Oh My doG, or doG damn it when ever I can. Christ on a crutch slips out occasionally.

I consider the hypothetical heart♥ to be a religious term. I will admit to using it every now and then.

Occasionally I use some that are mentioned here but 'Japanese Jesus ' is my 'bloody hell 'of American english....

Christ on a stick

I occasionally use "Jesus H. Christ". If someone asks me what the "H" stands for, I say "Harold", as in "Our Father, who art in Heaven, Harold be thy name...".

I most certainly do. BOB dammit, BOB blast both of thine eyes, may BOB send you to the nether ends of Fiddlybits where you will be forced to sit on a steel chair waiting for something to happen...

I make a conscious effort to not use Christian terms to the point where people give me strange looks. Instead of “oh god” I say “oh dinosaurs”. “Sweet Jesus” is replaced by “sweet Pamela Sue Anderson”. I try to keep Christians on their toes. Lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:152428
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.