Agnostic.com

79 6

Do you use religious terms sprinkled throughout our language?

In the past, people confronted me with the supposition that if I use expressions which use religious references, I am not agnostic. I disagree, and wrote a FB post about it at the time.

Which of these expressions do you hesitate to use, assuming they fit your dialect? Which do you use by accident?

Bless you, after a sneeze
Bless you, to indicate good will
Jesus Christ, as an expression of frustration
Jesus fucking Christ, if you swear in other circumstances
God damn you
Dammit
Go to Hell
God knows, as in no one knows
Heaven on earth, or seventh heaven
Heavens, as an expression of surprise
Thank God, as an expression of relief
Oh my God, as expression of surprise

Are there any other phrases in the dialect you share, which you avoid or try to avoid?

LionMousePudding 6 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

79 comments (76 - 79)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am a life-long non-believer in anything having o do with the supernatural or paranormal. Very early in my life (I was born in 1944 so it has been a while) I argued with cousins about Santa Claus. My logic was simple. I knew reindeer didn't fly and felt that fact alone discredited the whole program from square one.

Being born in North Carolina it was normal to pick up utterances such as Heaven knows or Thank god for or that and a rash of such simpleton horse manure. I was a skeptic even before I knew the word or concept, and when I did I thought, "that's what i am" and adopted both immediately. It wasn't long before I also adopted agnostic and eventually that morphed to atheist.

I tell people I'm a "card-carrying atheist" and then hand them my calling card that has "ATHEOS" under my name, with my cell # and address. I lead two atheist Meet Up sites and meet with fellow atheists every Sunday afternoon. Denton Atheist and Wise Free Thinkers and Skeptics; do a search for the terms.

When I came out as an atheist some 40-years ago, I decided then it was ridiculous to have such phrases in my vocabulary and began a private effort to rid myself of that trash and I'm pleased to report I was successful.

Also a question if I may; When you make a new friend whom you think is smart, intelligent or sharp are you disappointed to learn that are religious? I am.

Ken Hughes

I got in trouble in kindergarden for telling my classmates Santa Claus was not real!

I would add “Jesus, Fuck!” as one I use. Have been know to use “Oh, god” to indicate pleasure, and “God-daaaaaamn” upon seeing someone really hot.

UUNJ Level 8 Sep 11, 2018

Having written this question, and reading responses, I have really noticed of myself that I do use quite religious expressions. Having been raised with no religion (I only noticed I was not Christian when I was 12 and my friends were getting commencement gifts; in my town you were Christian unless proven Jewish; upon short contemplation I noticed I did not believe in God, so it all made sense), I certainly did not learn them at home. I do not think I learned them from a partner or location. I think I must have started ironically

I say things like "Lord have mercy (on my [poor] soul)" "Sweet mother of Jesus" "Heavens above" "Lord save us"

?????

Sure. It's just part of the shared cultural heritage. I don't use "I'll pray for you" because that personalizes it into an expression of personal religious belief. I might say "it's colder than a witch's tit" but that doesn't mean I believe in witchcraft or witches, or that in those who call themselves witches that there is some sort of thermal anomaly to their tits vs. the tits of the non-witches.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:152428
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.