Agnostic.com

79 6

Do you use religious terms sprinkled throughout our language?

In the past, people confronted me with the supposition that if I use expressions which use religious references, I am not agnostic. I disagree, and wrote a FB post about it at the time.

Which of these expressions do you hesitate to use, assuming they fit your dialect? Which do you use by accident?

Bless you, after a sneeze
Bless you, to indicate good will
Jesus Christ, as an expression of frustration
Jesus fucking Christ, if you swear in other circumstances
God damn you
Dammit
Go to Hell
God knows, as in no one knows
Heaven on earth, or seventh heaven
Heavens, as an expression of surprise
Thank God, as an expression of relief
Oh my God, as expression of surprise

Are there any other phrases in the dialect you share, which you avoid or try to avoid?

LionMousePudding 6 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

79 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Jesus Christ on a pinwheel!

Sometimes. Difficult not to as it’s ingrained in our culture & language. I try avoid such terms unless I’m actively trying piss off a believer.

For christ's sake, what a stupid question! (Only kidding)

Of course I do, it's just words that have no depth to the way I use them like twat, bollocks, knobhead etc 🙂

My eldest daughter coined a good one.. Jesus Crap! I think she was 7 when she did that. I think she wanted to say Jesus Christ, but it came out much better.

Who says "bless you" when somebody sneezes? It's a double whammy. It's based in theism and other superstition as well. I hear plenty of atheists and agnostics who have been trained to respond immediately with this ridiculous response to a sneeze.

I only avoid "thank God", "God knows", and "Bless you". I use all the others, and take it as understood that it's not meant religiously. And get a blaspemous catharsis by saying "Sweet freakin' Jesus", usually from frustration, or "Sweet freaky Jesus" as an expression usually of lust.

I was raised in a religious household and yes those phrases were used a lot, they are engrained in my reactive response vocabulary. I've only been atheist for about a year now and every now and then I catch myself and try to switch phrases out with something that doesn't have anything to do with "God" or "Jesus".

I've gotten good at omitting "God" in front of "dammit", cutting the reactive exclamation "Jesus Christ" down to "geez", and switching a lot out for "fuck".

i've gone the opposite way and expanded on Jesus Christ. I think the longest I've gone is "Jesus Horatio Motherfucking Christ on a fucking cracker"

But it is a work in progress 😉

Yep, use them all the time. They are just part of the vernacular. I can’t be arsed to eliminate them. TBH that sounds a bit extreme and as bad as people who get upset at “using the lord’s name in vain”.

Livia Level 6 Aug 12, 2018

Oh lort. I still use most of them... though typically I don't say bless you if someone sneezes. Frankly, I don't see a point in saying anything other than, "need a tissue?"

I have not put any real thought to it because they are just words. I don't want to put any meaning to it other than a phrase.

No I wasnt brought up in any religion so those dom come naturally mine would be sorry hiya- blow it! (english childs allowed swear word)
all the others are way out so my last would be well call me a banana! or whatever

If I'm being honest.. I still use most of them..accept on AG...for two reasons.

1. It a force of habit which is deeply wired in through ingrained language and culture.

2. When communicating with Thiests..which I must do since they are family, friends, work colleagues..and the wider community..I need to communicate expressions like "go to he'll!" Like I really mean it.....
    Not go to that place that in my opinion does not exist..finding am alternative..is just not an alternative for me..life is too short...

If I'm being honest.. I still use most of them..accept on AG...for two reasons.

1. It a force of habit which is deeply wired in through ingrained language and culture.

2. When communicating with Thiests..which I must do since they are family, friends, work colleagues..and the wider community..I need to communicate expressions like "go to he'll!" Like I really mean it.....
    Not go to that place that in my opinion does not exist..finding an alternative..is just not an alternative for me..life is too short...

Yes, I use these terms all the time. Whether it is for swearing or just to be ironic or funny.
“Holy Mother Of God, that’s the dumbest thing I’ve heard”
“Jesus Fucking Christ you’re stupid”

Usually I do try to avid certain references like, “act of God”, “God Knows”...etc. Sometimes at work, however I will use those terminologies to get my point across to those who believe. I try to remain professional and respectful of other’s beliefs and will adapt to my surroundings.

I do say "bless you" when someone sneezes. I am not specific about from whom the person can expect the blessing to come. I use "goddammit" and "Jesus Christ" as expletives, and have been known to tell someone to "go to hell." I don't feel it is necessary to believe something literally if it appropriately expresses a thought or feeling I wish to convey.

Deb57 Level 8 Aug 18, 2018

I like the Jesus fucking Christ, unfortunately I rarely have the opportunity to use it.

Gosh I use it all the time! You must lead a very calm life ???? because that is what I say any time when I am frustrated or annoyed ????

... and then I like to say "that's divine masturbation."

@LionMousePudding cursing and swearing exert some weird, rough charm.

Interesting point ... i can't think of an atheist equivalent ... perhaps all the vast rest of the language is a reference to normality.

I say "Thank Allah " sometimes just to be a wise ass. Some of the looks I get are priceless! I stopped saying "God bless you " or "Bless you" when someone sneezes.

2155 Level 3 Sep 3, 2018

My catholic college roommate used to say, "Judas Priest!"

your question almost warrants a PhD in applied linguistics ... i wonder How perversive other Religions are. You should read Asterix & Obelix. The authors transposed these Religions reference to the Roman religio-linguistic background replacing all references.

I do have one bachelors’ and two masters’ degrees in Linguistics. However, my question is only of people here: to find out how agnostics in this group feel about using religious terms in everyday language, and whether it makes them uncomfortable either to use terms both from religion and literally meaningless without religion. That is, ‘heaven’ has one main meaning that religios agree on and we laugh at; ‘Heaven help us’ has another meaning which can be used secularly as a phrase.

We have each answer that interests me here. Some (fewer than I imagined) DO try to avoid religious language. Some use it on purpose to annoy religios. And most just use is because it is simply our language, who cares where the words come from.

In other words this IS applied (socio-)linguistics!

Any awkward turns of phrase above are entirely blamable on the baby rat racing around on the bed with me ?????

@LionMousePudding I am a staunch atheist but a culltural christian. Many expressions that imply religiosity at face value have been stripped of their religious essence. For me an expression like "God forbid I am an athesit" is not an oximoron.
Staunch believers are far more likely to avoid expressions that might allude to the value system of another religion or atheism.

@LionMousePudding I must admit that I systematically refuse to use religious titles, e.g. father, brother, sister ... but I am equally reluctant to use military titles.

@PontifexMarximus I use sister for myself when I have to choose a prefix.. to Hell with prefixes, why do forms insist on them?! .. and I am my sister's sister, anyway! ??

Btw ... I use Islamic greetings with Muslims and Shalom with Jews and call my of my Chinese friends comrades. Neither affects my "commitment" to atheism.

I am fine with using religious terms in self- expression. Personal favorites include:

Christ on a crutch! - surprise and exhaustion
Fucking Hell! - variations on fuck
Good God! - exposure to a funky jam
Good Lord! - exposure to remnants of air from my vegetarian diet

I have others...

Raised Catholic. So those words are embedded in my brain.

i say bless you, and often add that it is my own blessing, not god's, i am bestowing, and i have only two to spare.

i do not avoid any of the other expressions, although i usually add a middle initial to the jesus fucking christ. i've never been christian, by the way. somehow, oh richard dawkins doesn't work when you bang your toe or trip over the dog.

however, i do not say b.c. and a.d. i say b.c.e. and c.e. i do have my standards!

if i am for some reason actually speaking about jesus, i do not give him the title christians have given him. jesus wasn't even his real name, but at least it's just a name. christ is a title. i don't use it (except, as aforementioned, i am producing an excited utterance, in which case i am just using the expression as a sound).

i most certainly do not say stuff like "it's in god's hands," "it's god's will" or, other than a response to a sneeze, "bless you."

g

I use most of them that you mentioned, and at one time was upset with myself for hanging on to them. After a while though, I realized that they are just words, and not literal. I might also say Kiss my ass, Go fuck yourself, stupid bitch/dickhead/asshole, etc. They are just expressions I was raised with which express emotions or meaning. Granted, I may used expletives more often than I should, but I don't think I'm promoting religion by saying such things.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:152428
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.