Agnostic.com

5 0

Proof of simulation

Can anyone provide a proof we are not living in a simulation

AbhinavSharma 2 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

And the difference would be....?

It was recently proven we aren't, because there isn't enough data in the universe to reconstruct it.

I read the article on that, and all they proved was that we couldn't simulate our universe in our universe. But if we're a simulation, we'd be running on a computer in a universe one level up, not in our own universe.

@Ribarnica LOL! It's like Russell's teapot..you can't prove it's not true.

Why would anyone even think this was worth thinking about!

No. If so l could really use a simulated woman right now, and they could simulate my brains out.

You can’t prove a negative. You can only assume that, like the god myth, far-fetched fantasy tales are extremely unlikely.

Is it far fetched, though? The argument is that, if it is possible to simulate a universe, then the number of simulated universes throughout space and time vastly outnumbers the actual universe. So any universe we find ourselves in is most likely a simulated one. If you agree that universe simulation is conceptually possible, isn't the proposal that we live in the top-level or "real" universe the unlikely one?

@Ribarnica yes, the premise that it is possible to simulate a universe and the things within it have consciousness and free will is extremely far fetched.

@A2Jennifer given the leaps in tech over the past 100 years, I have no trouble believing that human minds will be easily simulated in another 100. Or if not, then surely in 1000 years?

@Ribarnica I think that qualifies you are an optimist - I expect humans will have destroyed each other in 1000 years. Maybe a simulation will be the only thing left.

Optimist? I don't think anyone has ever called me that before. How disorienting!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:152694
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.