Agnostic.com

9 3

Can you drive a stick?

I was sitting here and had a random thought. How many people still know how to drive a manual transmission vehicle? It seems to me that this is slowly on the decline.

• 33 votes
  • 6 votes
Switchboard 4 Aug 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I usually prefer the manual.

Grew up with them....the last one I bought, is a 2007. Still drive it every day. I agree they are almost a thing of the past now....

I prefer a manual transmission.

JimG Level 8 Aug 13, 2018

First time I ever drove was a manual. But I haven't done enough of it to feel comfortable on an incline at a red light with a car behind me. I've never owned one.

When my son bought a vw with a manual transmission, I aggravated the hell out of him because I insisted on teaching him to drive my Nissan Sentra to learn. The reason I made him drive my car instead of his; he had a tachometer and a shift light. I made him stop on hills dozens of times during that first lesson. I was surprised that I still had a clutch.

If you can't start out uphill, you should avoid manual transmissions.

@JimG Oh, I can. It just makes me nervous, that's all.

@Nottheonlyone I understand, but other drivers frequently get way too close in that situation.

@JimG Which is exactly why it makes me nervous!

I love those news stories where some punks try to steal a car & fail because it's got a manual transmission!

Carin Level 8 Aug 13, 2018

Learned to drive with a manual transmission . Prefer a broom stick .

And I can divine an automatic. Lol

although my current is an A class merc manual, i did have a BMW 750 iL prior to that which was only available as an automatic. My favorite manual was the Mazda MX5, all my other cars have been manual.

What are your thoughts on front or rear wheel drive, or 4x4 ?

I think for a small car, I prefer the FW but for my SUV or trucks I prefer 4x4 all the way.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:153917
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.