Agnostic.com

59 4

Agnostics/atheists do you require evidence for other things in life, too?

We require evidence to believe in god. Do we also require evidence to believe in other things in life? Better put, do some of us believe in things for which there is no evidence?

What am I talking about? All kinds of things: Astrology, Myers-Briggs, Organic produce, juice cleanses, the list goes on.

If someone pointed out that there was no evidence behind your belief, would you be willing to change it?

jwd45244 7 Aug 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

59 comments (51 - 59)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't believe in any of the things you mention in your list. Without scientific proof I don't believe. If I hold an erroneous belief I will always examine contradictory information that I come across.

Certainly.

Evidence is a good thing and most will not argue that it 100% guarantees the right decision or opinion. It's a matter of evidence vs. opinion. Things are more or less likely. And extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

I don't personally believe in any of the examples listed, so that's an easy question. You gave a broad range of examples.

I would ask questions that could be measured. If presented with properly gathered evidence, then yes, I would definitely reconsider.

What is something that you have changed or considered changing your point of view about?

Yes. To do otherwise leaves one open to the whims and whiles of charlitans.

I require proof for everything be it bigfoot, aliens, unicorns, or that my step-mother isn't a witch.I take nothing on faith and it's served me well and saved me money.

Absolutely. Emotions have their time and place but logic and evidence guide me.

Depends what your trying to prove and if it's an issue worth debating. Time is precious life is short.

Evidence based everything - physical, social, economic, medicine and health care, politics. I'm a devout Whatworksian.
It means I often get mistaken for a liberal, but I just look at the world and think 'What works? What provides that old chestnut of the greatest good for the greatest number?'
And the answer is often Sweden. Well, the Scandinavian model of social democracy and regulated capitalism anyway.

And I am certain you stay away from exposure to Kryptonite.

Personally I feel it's illrational to believe in anything that has no evidence to suggest it's true.if anything is a matter of any inportance and one does not question it without reservation or conviction that would be illlogical.truth is what the facts are.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:153949
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.