Agnostic.com

5 0

President what religion are you?

I think JFK was the only catholic president and I think the rest of them are protestant ( I am not sure) has there ever been an atheist, or jewish president?

5082gregory 7 Jan 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't even care anymore if they are left handed.

Various claims get made about some of the Founders, particularly Washington and Jefferson, that they either flirted with atheism, were closet atheists, or were of such peculiar and individual religious beliefs that they were not properly called "Christian." That's a simplistic view that opens the way for historical tit-for-tat with modern Christians to also claim these men as members of their tribe. The reality of their time is that the major religious conflict among educated people was between Trinitarian Christianity, Unitarian Christianity, and Deism, and there were very few open atheists.

Other Presidents have been alleged to have been skeptical to non-believing, including James Buchanan (I don't want him in our tribe!) and Abraham Lincoln (which I also think is inaccurate, at least during the point of life when he served as President) and Teddy Roosevelt and Barack Obama (who, if you put on the tinfoil hat, was also simultaneously both an atheist and a Muslim, which sounds like a good trick to me).

I think, though, we should treat these people the same way we do less extraordinary folks from history and our own contemporaries: take them at their word. If they say they're Christian, then they are. And by that standard, all of our Presidents have been Christians, from Washington to Trump. Whether they were good Christians or not is a question I leave for Christians to address.

This president isn't a religion. He thinks he's God. And the Evangelicals that prop him up think he's God too.

No Jewish or Atheist. trump doesn't go to church.

No Jewish one I know of, and as to being an atheist I know of none that stated that in public. Had a president ever declared as an atheist prior to the election I am sure you would not be discussing them as having been president.

Unfortunately true, especially when the Religious Right keeps up their mantra about the US being a "Christian Nation"...Makes you wonder how they can have such high regard for their candidate, Donald Trump, who is the closest thing to being the poster child for the 7 Deadly Sins....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15398
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.