Agnostic.com

3 1

Growing up, did you use "jump rope rhymes" to choose who would be "it", fairly?

When my neighborhood friends would get together, we would play Tag, or Hide N Seek--older it became "Manhunt". In order to be fair as to who was the person seeking or the "it" one, we would place a foot in a circle, and someone (whoever knew a rhyme or two) would tap each shoe with each word until the last word which would then exclude that person last tapped, as in "and you are not it." I would calculate the amount of feet with rhyme in hopes that I was not "it." Here a few examples:

Bubble gum, bubble gum in a dish, how many pieces do you wish? (where the finger landed is the person choosing number, then tap out the number suggested..)

Engine Engine number 9, going down Chicago line, if the train falls off the track, do you want your money back? (where the finger landed is the person choosing, then tap out yes or no)

My mother and your mother were hanging up clothes. My mother punched your mother right in the nose. What color was the blood? (where the finger landed is the person choosing, then tap out color)

Did you ever use these? Do you have any you'd like to share?

MyLiege 7 Jan 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oddly enough, I was thinking about this today. Our favourite, used only out of earshot of teachers and/or adults, was...

"Ip, dip, dog shit, fucking bastard, stupid git, you are not it!"

Jnei Level 8 Jan 15, 2018

Sorry. ..girls rarely let us jump rope but did let us twirl. ...us guys were encouraged to jump solitary like boxers Patterson & Clay

Eeney Meany Miny Moe Catch A Tiger by the Toe

Rock,Paper Scissors

One TwoThree Shoot (with fingers)

that's upsetting to me.

@MsOliver you are correct my lily white racist mom even called Brazil Nuts NIGGER TOES my dad was assimilationist racist from coal mines calling his tribal grandmother A SQUAW. ...PART OF my age 5 rebellion from white easter bunnies was negative reinforced racism against my black kindergarten teacher. ...I loved her and refused to call her "colored" mom's label or my elder males racist epithets coons mammy Step&Fetch IT ad nauseum. ...bigotry bleeds religious and everyone I knew talked behind my Jehovah Witness Great Aunt Mable. ...I loved her and refused to pretend her church was better than moms church. ...my Aunt made me home made bread jams stewed tomatoes from her garden paradise. ...I learned love was separate from religion and love was not a lie like Santa or baby geebush. ...Atheist Einstein was my only role model until I learned Walt Disney was an Atheist. ....from then on I had 2 shoes to fill

@MsOliver yep that's the one.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15418
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.