Agnostic.com

7 5

Faith over Reason

I was reading something by Christopher Hitchens and he said one of the dangers of Religions is that most put faith over reason, what's everyone take on that quote?

flexx71 4 Aug 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

it isn't actually part of judaism. even SO i have been an atheist since the age of 15. i wasn't rebelling against my heritage or judaism. i just realized there are no gods. that's all. i think the quotation applies very well to christians, though.

g

When discussing religious faith, as a nullifidian not only do I agree with Hitch, but I am also in agreement with Peter Boghossian, who defines faith as 'pretending to know things you don't know.' As the great 19th century orator, Robert Green Ingersoll (known then as the Great Agnostic) said:

"The notion that faith in Christ is to be rewarded by an eternity of bliss, while a dependence upon reason, observation and experience merits everlasting pain, is too absurd for refutation, and can be relieved only by that unhappy mixture of insanity and ignorance, called 'faith.'”

"There is nothing left but faith in what we know could not and did not happen. Religion and science are enemies. One is a superstition; the other is a fact. One rests upon the false, the other upon the true. One is the result of fear and faith, the other of investigation and reason."

I agree, but I would like to add on to that in that religion is the ultimate collectivist ideology type. That being said, it can do an immense amount of harm and would most likely be corrupted quickly.

Cosmo Level 4 Aug 14, 2018

As a former Catholic, we were taught that faith was a gift from God. Not everyone received it. A prayer invoked at times was "Lord, help my unbelief." Honestly....

As a former Catholic, we were taught that faith was a gift from God. Not everyone received it. A prayer invoked at times was "Lord, help my unbelief." Honestly....

I think it's a great quote that can be applied to much more than religion.

I have said many times that faith without evidence or facts is fine with me.

However, when people choose to believe in spite of evidence and facts, then that crosses the line, to where it is no longer faith, but willful ignorance. Most religious persons do nto make the distinction between the two but think of it all as just "faith".

I think it is the willful ignorance side that is dangerous, because that is the kind of "faith" that is the basis of fanaticism and basically all the evil done in the name of religion.

"I have said many times that faith without evidence or facts is fine with me."

Why would you say that? BTW, 'faith without evidence' is a redundancy. The very definition of faith may be found in the New Testament, according to Paul:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
Hebrews 11:1 (KJV)

The substance of hope and the supposed evidence of the unseen are the twin pillars of religous faith. In other words, credulity.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:154367
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.