Agnostic.com

21 10

Are You Aware Of The Things You Touch?

My background includes a lot of laboratory work in pathology and Microbiology. When I worked in Microbiology I would conduct experiments as side projects and share the results at our staff meetings.

The first experiment I did was this:

I frequented a random ATM and withdrew twenty dollars and handled this money with gloves on to avoid me contaminating it.
I took a cotton tip applicator and swabbed the entire bill on both sides.

I then took the same cotton tip applicator and swab a type of media plate which we referred to as blood plates as they are red in color.

I then performed a procedure called streaking where you isolate pure strand from a single species of microorganism.

Then finally I incubate the media plate for 24- 48 hours to achieve organism growth.

Upon examing the media I discovered many microorganism.
Colonies consisting of ecoli which is found in feces, pet DNA, genital bacteria, microbes from mouth, viruses particularly Adenovirus which causes respiratory infections such as Flu, and believe it or not we found evidence of drug substances, cocaine in particular, all from this one bill.

I guess this gives a whole new meaning to the term "Dirty Money"

Just wanted to share this with the community and hope you all will be mindful of the things you touch throughout the day. please use hand sanitizer or practice hand washing as often as you can during the day.

twshield 8 Jan 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Excessive sanitisation just makes your body weak for when it has to fight off real threats.
A certain degree of constant exposure to pathogens keeps your body better protected.

Seconded. Knowing the name and number of all the pathogens on that doorhandle isn't going to change my perception of how often I get sick, which is rarely. Or how often I desire to wash my hands, which is already fairly frequently. I wash before I eat or handle food, and after toileting. Beyond that--for the sake of my painfully dry skin--i try not to.

Do you clean your phone? We touch toilets, public doors, money, and lots of other things and then put our phones next to our faces. Especially with all the sickness going around this time of year, might want to sanitize it as well as your hands.

@twshield Even though I brought it up, I still forget to clean it from time to time. But because so many at work have been sick, I'm trying to be vigilant.

@twshield I'm not a germophobe, I'm just paranoid, but apparently not paranoid enough! lol

@twshield Doorknobs! My mom is a retired nurse, and she thinks I'm something of a germophobe. I often wash my hands or use hand sanitizer. 😛

Wow, I knew it was dirty but thanks for breaking it down and sharing this!

Especially in flu season,

I try to touch consciously - but I'm not paranoid. And I wash my hands more often than I used to, which seems to keep things under control ... so far.

Oh - and I never use ATMs

How do you get cash? My credit union, at least the branch I use, has no human tellers. There are 3 ATMs which process cash or check deposits and cash withdrawals. The humans there are loan officers, investment advisers, and notaries.

@shockwaverider I like to interact with a real live teller.

@twshield I know they're all probably headed there - so I'll enjoy live people while I can !

Good reason fast food/deli workers who prepare food should not be handling your money.

Just a bit of fun?

I just can't with this topic. It's making my OCD hurt.

OMG! I hate you for revealing this! lol

@twshield haha

I just gave 5 minutes ago 300.00 to my sister... let me get it back before she gets sick. She is my mom favorite after all.

A good reason to use debit cards.

I am 3xtremely tactile...shopkeepers hate me! But I keep my hands away from my face! And wash.

Sure, now I have to carry hand sanitizer everywhere. 🙂

Think about when you touch the ATM, gas pump, any public doorway... Are you trying to make us all OCD?

Seriously though, you incubated it. Presumably if we don't pick our noses, rub our eyes, or touch our privates before washing our hands, this shouldn't impact us? Right?

@twshield lol

@twshield you are doing a good job

Amazing how hard people had to fight just to get the medical community to recognise the importance of handwashing. Honestly we could all do with washing our hands more often than we do.

I feel like I need to go bleach my hands

Oh hell, It is part of life, I am not going to live in a bubble. I see people wiping their shopping carts before entering the store and I ask for WHAT? Why do you feel you are protected from all the objects that have already been touched by others. As a human with a strong spiritual base, I know that it is my immune system that really does the job for me. I live life with the luxuries of today however will never deny my human body is vulnerable and with that I live in this world. Gosh when we had the Ebola break out, many bought isolation suites, locked the doors, and taped their windows, This type of behavior is nuts. Just live a life without fear but with faith that you and your body are one with the world around you.

EMC2 Level 8 Jan 23, 2018

Ever worked in schools ? Ever had a good look at the school computer keyboard? A real treasure trove of everything falling off kids ... at home I sometimes pull my keyboard apart to give it a thorough clean. But I seem to stay well enough without generally going overboard with sanitation.Just thankful we have water to clean things with! And wash hands, and so on.

Although I am acutely aware of the microbial world around us, I'm not nearly as careful as I should be. I sanitize my hands a lot at work, sure, but I also perform more exams and procedures than I should without gloves. Then I make fun of one of my germophobic coworkers who is constantly in a mask because she's crazy.

Are you sure she's a germaphobe and doesn't have some immune issues? I used to tease a girl at work like that, found out she was imunocompromised and felt like a jerk.

whats the point? you can't clean your hands every time you touch something "dirty" being too clean is bad for you. if you go to a toilet and then wash your hands the first trolly you grab will have the same germs on it or the first-handrail or as you say money. your shopping you handle yourself 5-6 times. have I got to clean my hands every time I stroke my dogs? your immune system is far better fighting these germs than avoiding them I think.

fair answer and yes if I prepare food that is different but generally there is no escaping germs

I heard that most bills also have -- cocaine, I think it was -- on them. Did you find any of that, or weren't they that kind of test? I suppose it's good that we use less and less cash these days. Thanks for the information. It's fascinating and a good reminder.

I think 90% of bills have cocaine on them and that's because the other 10% are quite new. that means the edge has been up someone's nose.there are creatures living in your eyelashes and on your skin that have no anus so explode when they die.

I believe ALL of us had the moment when you began coming down with a cold or flu symptoms but we had something imperative to do, such as work, moving etc. The mind sets our priorities and our ability to lessen the impact of the flu truly in minimalized. Or when we are very sick but an emergency calls us to action, we note we can do it. this is what I mean by being too sickly thinking and searching all available remedies or preventions. Our mindset is merely fear and anxiety, wanna get sick share these feelings and you will.

EMC2 Level 8 Jan 23, 2018

That's why I believe. in solid preventative medicine system of dealing with disease. these things can be seen by the naked eye, and we can't expect everyone to do a swab test. we can really only prepare for dealing with the disease when it happens, and prevent its spread from infected patients.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15476
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.