Agnostic.com

6 0

Should martial arts be taught in school? They know that people that study martial arts have more self discipline and all around respect. So why is it not taught in public schools?

azzow2 9 Jan 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yoga might be a better idea.

Iffy Level 5 Jan 15, 2018

Might work for girls even though it is not some view it is a more feminine thing to do.

It’s a nice idea but the problem would be who the teachers are. Some of them are great. Some are like the sensi from The Karate Kid.

Iffy Level 5 Jan 15, 2018

In this time of spending less on education and educators (so the top 10% of our social classes can be richer and richer, but I digress), we should focus on teaching students to be the best they can be for themselves and their community. Participation in music classes has been shown to statistically increase student's IQs while providing benefits to their educational, cognitive, and social skills. I would like to see school curriculums rewritten to focus on music for every student and a secondary focus on physical education--martial arts, meditation/yoga, hiking to a dump site to clean it up, and more, choices of activity that takes both physical activity and provides a benefit to the student and community. I would put math in the second most important place and written and oral communication last. I would also like to see a paradigm in how we teach--switch from verbal to kinetic so every child can learn. But I'm dreaming.

[nammfoundation.org]

lots of kids lack self esteem and just have family issues my thinking is it could help some avoid the drug and alcohol dependency issues.

@azzow2 I couldn't find statistic or a report on it, but I used to have it when I taught. Music students were the least likely to be in trouble in the high school years, delinquency and drugs. I agree we need to do more to build up every student.

I don't think any gym classes should be in school. Just my opinion from past experience. I think the focus should be on those that need additional help.

From the scholars of Greek influence Athens being the intellectual and Sparta being athletic they theorized about a utopia combining both attributes which would have been Atlantas as we all know that it is a lost city.

@azzow2. That's cool.... there's to many jocks and bad asses needing help in school.

I'd love to see yoga and meditation taught in schools as well. Listen to the little conservatives scream!!

For a boy full of vigor and testosterone it might not be their first choice.

Because the general public are arseholes and would abuse the system . Ever watched karate kid that’s how it would be like without the good guys winning

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15504
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.