Agnostic.com

3 1

South America is getting a new dose of brainwashing. The Pope has arrived to Chile (will also visit Peru). I guess the Vatican fears a large exodus of members...to other religions and to Atheism.
In both countries, the citizens have shown their feelings; some are happy and others burned couple of churches and protested in advance Bergoglio's arrival.
Bergoglio, an Argentinian, will not visit his country. Some say he is mad at the President but the truth is the Pope's political affiliation -he favors the Peronism- is the real reason my other country will benefit by his absence. Goody.

DUCHESSA 8 Jan 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As Popes have gone, this one's really better than most. Perhaps it's more in tone than substance, but tone matters. Francis apologizes for misdeeds done within the RCC and by its clerics; he refuses to judge or condemn LGBTQ people he actually engages personally in dispensing charity; he urges compassion foremost of all things.

It's not perfect -- the RCC still condemns abortion rights, holds a bunch of property it could better use to create hospitals and charities, and uses its extensive network of otherwise-good educational institutions to perpetuate a hugely anachronistic mythology.

But there is good being done along with the bad; like a lot of human institutions, it's really as morally worthy as the people who run it, and Francis is a huge step up from Benedict14 and JP2 before him.

Francis being a huge step up from other Popes is irrelevant...his brainwashing is the problem. Why do you think he is visiting Latin America? Because the region holds the two countries with more Catholics....Brazil and Mexico. He is a politician and a pedophile protector.

I harbor no ill will with Pope Francis, quite the opposite, I admire him greatly. He has made great strides to bring the Catholic community closer to the 21st century. Lots more to do, but he has done more than any other Pope I can think of. He said about gays "Who am I to judge". He said about atheists "It's better to be an atheist than to be a hypocritical Christian". He has lifted the importance of women in the church by saying "Women have an essential role to play in inter-religious dialogue given their natural ability to build relationships and fraternity, making their involvement necessary in all areas of society". Yes, this man is very holly and in my mind very deserving of approval by the atheist community. You can't expect the Pope to become an atheist, but he has opened the door for Catholics to see many controversial things in a different light. I couldn't ask more of him. In my mind, he's worthy of our respect!

Excuse me but do you really think these tepid, PR nuanced utterances of this Pope, as you've quoted, mount up to anything? Nothing ever specific, major, or definite is ever uttered by this pope. I'm sorry, he's playing the media, playing the so called progressives in the CC, and he somehow manages to play some non believers into thinking he's different. There's research on this if you look, but basically this pope's play is this:

1. Pretend to make changes to the church to modernise it, to appeal to progressives, but do nothing specific.
  2. Reassure the archaic reactionaries who run the church that he's not going to change anything, despite media spin, by stomping down on real progressives in the church at ground level. The stuff that the media don't want to know about.
  3. Run a fake news story about a big battle going on between him and the CC reactionaries who are preventing him from making real change. The reactionaries don't care about being in bad guys in this story. They care little about the modern world as it is. The progressives believe though.
  4. Pitch the story to the US in particular where the pope is more popular than a free hot dog at a ball game, where a goodly amount of the 150+ billion dollars that yearly sucks into the CC comes from.
    I am so tired of hearing from mainstream media and others how wonderful this pope is, since they never dig below the surface. I could quote you articles in the atheist world about this stuff, but I suggest you do it yourself. Catholic Church: same rotten wine, new bottle.

WOW! Your cynicism is thick. You may not remember that Pope John Paul II was given most of the credit for bringing down the Berlin wall. How did he do that? He spoke out about it! Even just talking about these new ideas that Pope Francis has spoken about is a giant leap forward over what other Popes have done. He is at least starting these conversations, which is a big beginning!

If his idea was "to bring the Catholic community closer to the XXI century....hge would have told the world the Catholic religion -and all other religions- are a farse.

@David1955 Bergoglio us a politician all the way...a Peronist to be exact....a no good.

@stomato Everything that comes out of the CC is garbage. Bergoglio is nothing but a very wise guy with an agenda. I am glad he won't visit Argentina.

Hi Duchessa,the Pope would have good cause to fear a reduction in believers as it effects the income of the Vatican,less believers=less donations=less income.

That is "more" than obvious....

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15552
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.