Agnostic.com

5 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I like Aristotle on luck. He has two views of it.

a) One from his physics which suggests that luck implies an accidental cause as an unbounded or indefinite cause, which are unaccountable on a rational basis.
b) In the moral sphere Aristotle talks about natural luck which he maintains is contrary to reason. and he rejects luck as some sort of natural endowment like eye color. He thinks luck (as good outcome or good fortune) necessarily exists. While luck is in no way guaranteed by nature, in a way similar to how it is feasible for a person to toss a hundred heads or tails so too can some persons experience good outcomes naturally again and again due to nature, outside of any reasonable explanation since nature does not have to conform to our expectations.

cava Level 7 Aug 15, 2018

The harder I work the luckier I get it.

Luck is just a metaphor one uses to describe the relative benefits or harms of an experience to them. It isn't a literal thing. Never thought it was, even as a Christian. In those days, I felt it was a notion contrary to the concept that god is in control of everything, that not so much as a sparrow falls from its nest without his awareness. These days ... having seen a whole lot of sparrows fall on his alleged watch, I've been disabused of that nonsense ... but I do recognize the value of luck as an abstraction. I think that random happenstance is as important to my present favorable (to me) circumstances as any personal ability or talent or wisdom. I have a reasonably functional body and brain for example as the basis for my ability to locomote and think. I could just as well have been born with profound disabilities, and expended all my energy overcoming them.

There is no such thing as luck, period. End of discussion.

I agree, but it was still interesting to read about people's ideas about it.

Well look at it this way one man's s*** is another man's fertilizer

True. And I don't believe there's any such thing as luck, except in our minds.

@tnorman1236 I believe in the laws of statistical probability

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:155654
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.