Agnostic.com

35 8

LINK 41% of men surveyed experienced sadness or irritability after sex

A first-of-its-kind study found men also exhibited a condition called “post-coital dysphoria” (PCD) that has previously been observed in women.

Forty-one percent of the male participants experienced PCD in their lifetime and 20% reported it happened to them in the preceding four weeks.

Feelings reported by the survey’s subjects varied from "I don't want to be touched and want to be left alone" to "I feel unsatisfied, annoyed and very fidgety. Some talked about feeling “emotionless and empty”

The results of the study show that how men view sex is much more complex and varied than assumed previously.

This condition can interfere with the interactions of the couple following sex. The study's author stressed that the postcoital stage—“the resolution”—is very important for building the intimacy of the couple. Those that “engage in talking, kissing, and cuddling following sexual activity report greater sexual and relationship satisfaction.

Scientists theorize it may have to do with the “dopamine rebound effect” when dopamine levels are lower after the sexual rush.

VictoriaNotes 9 Aug 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have not had this specific experience, but it does not surprise me that it exists. And given that men are taught to repress / deny what they feel, it is no surprise that it is late being discovered.

While "dopamine rebound effect" is a hypothesis, I think it's more likely to do with all the hopes / dreams / aspirations that go into sex, only to find it's not that satisfying after all, particularly if your partner wasn't that into it. It's like the post-Christmas letdown that tends to fill the offices of head doctors after the first of the year.

Some of the replies here are talking about something longer-lasting than just the immediate post-coitus time frame -- spilling into the next day.

You could set your clock by the fact that sometime in the 48 hours post-coitus (or really post anything intimate, like a good romantic date night) my previous wife would pick some kind of fight over something she observed that proved to her I didn't really care / love her. In her case it was pretty clearly abandonment issues. Her father abandoned her and her mother when she was 11, just snuck off without comment in the night and was never heard from again (eventually traced to Alaska, about as far away as one could get without leaving the country). Every time there was good intimacy with a man, she would pull away from it because she couldn't trust it. And she was searching for signs of abandonment, which she probably was doing ever since her Dad surprised her by leaving. Despite that I stayed strong with her through a terrible illness, this sense that I might abandon her at any moment never really left her. It's a sad commentary on what lasting harm a parent can do to a child. And yet her father wasn't much of a throat to choke, by all indications he was just a victim of PTSD, courtesy of the Korean war. He died alone of COPD somewhere out in the tundra, so I guess life "punished" him sufficiently.

Amazing how life can sometimes transform even the transcendent into a source of suffering ...

I want a sandwich.

Ask her to make you one, for a quick, easy way out!

I hate myself to no end for not being able to keep up with this kinky, rough goth chick last month. Don't know if that's similar?

@Omen6Actual I want to, but I'm full of self-hate.

Reminds me of the words of Neil Diamond’s song” You don’t bring me Flowers”........”After loving me late at night.....you just reach over and turn out the light”! it is sad. If you don’t lie in each other’s arms afterwards it can often feel like a rejection and can seem almost like an abandonment to many after such an intimate act. I know many women feel this and so it is not entirely surprising that men can have these feelings too.

Guess I'm 59%

Where's my cigarettes?

godef Level 7 Aug 16, 2018

Can't relate to that, my feelings are a mix of euphoria, comfort, natural high, warmness, cuddliness. All pretty positive things really!

Totally alien to me, but then i am a cuddler after sex. ?

These guys are either doing it wrong or having sex with the wrong women

lerlo Level 8 Aug 16, 2018

yes, communication is a great aid towards understanding & emphasizing with the other - always.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:156386
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.