Agnostic.com

5 0

Not Your Usual Mother-Part I

My mom was born in 1914. When she was born there were no airplanes. She learned to drive on a Model-T Ford. Her family were immigrants from England. The migrated across the country traveling by wagon across Virginia, to Tennessee, down through Arkansas and into East Texas.

She was born Myrtle Frances Birdwell. Frances came from a family of three other sisters, and two brothers. It was a large family as they were needed to help take care of the farm. Back in the day they would travel with their wagon to the county seat in Rusk to get their feed for the animals. This was an all day trip. Today it takes 30 minutes one way by car. Then it took 6 hours by wagon. They would pack up their lunch and eat upon arrival. Then would get the feed, and supplies and get back home in time to feed the animals by dark.

They survived the Spanish influenza of the 1920's. Frances used to say, "Flu in, flu out" indicating a very quick time frame as it came and was gone so quickly. They were not so fortunate during the Great Depression of the 1930's.

Her family suffered from tuberculosis. It claimed the life of her father, one brother, and her youngest sister. She told a story of the town store who came to collect the mattress her brother was on and took it back for lack of payment while he was dying. Frances did not much care for the town she lived in. Nor did she care for the state of Texas. Often she would say, "If Texas were a horse, Rusk would be it's a@@."

She was a Democrat by nature but had her definite opinions of select politicians. Once she told of the courthouse burning down before the votes could be recounted. It was when L.B.J. ran for Governor. There never was a recount. L.B.J. won.

During WWII, the wife of President Roosevelt, Eleanor Roosevelt came through her little town on a bus recruiting young woman to the workforce to replace the men at war. She was trained to hand out parts in airplane factory. It was at some point during this time, she married my father who was a WWII Air Force pilot.

Frances changed her name from Myrtle and would only allow her sisters to call her by the name. Even on her birth certificate she did not use her actual name. She put Rita, which I believe was a reference to Rita Hayworth whom she admired for her beauty and glamour.

My father died one year after retiring from the Air Force. Mom never remarried and earned his VA benefits all the rest of her life until she passed in 2015.

This was her history but not the real woman I knew as my mother.

JustLuAnn 7 Jan 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@JackPedigo This may be where part of my low self esteem comes from.

Sometimes it really helps to talk about things. Maybe the internet can be a good thing in that it allows one a degree of anonymity. I have discovered lots of things about past relationships by ruminating and commenting on this site. Things I should have known but just took for granted.

@JackPedigo It helps me to write it down. I put myself out there as it is more or less anonymous. I find many folks here very interesting. Few seem compassionate though. There are exceptions of course. Like you. 🙂 Most seem to be without hope, despairing, and perhaps this is what it means to be atheist. Perhaps I'm just me and still have my hopes there "might" be something. Might now. We won't know till its over. Even then we won't know if there is naught but darkness.

@JustLuAnn I wonder if the loss of immortality is the real problem (actually one can't lose what one never had). Most of the atheists I know do not feel without hope and there are a lot here.
It seems a lack of a meaningful or happy relationship could be enough to depress anyone. We are too quick to get into a relationship (I've been there) before knowing the other and before knowing if we are compatible. We should never give up hope but, not having experienced a loving relationship, makes it easy to do so.

@kenoaks

And then there was mom. Always for all my life ..this one is a three partner.

Sorry, I read this after submitting my comment to your previous comment. My step grandmother was named Myrtle and they lived in Dallas as does some of my family (one sister in New Braunfels)..

It sounded as if your mother had a rough life which can and often does shape a persons view of life. My late partner was born the only daughter with 4 brothers. Being the only girl she got special treatment and her mother fostered her questioning everything (the stories I have heard). She referred to herself as a 'Persian Princess'. As I said she was a lifelong atheist and couldn't understand how people could follow such silly notions. She came to the U.S. (Texas) in 1977 and then the revolution hit in 79' she saw what religion can do to a country (and is starting to do to this country). As I said she was tough and her motto was "Discipline first then love - it's on her urn. At one time her daughter came to her and said: "mom, you know all those times I said I hate you; thank you". After coming to this area (which she said reminded her of the mountains in Iran (most Americans have no idea how big this country is) and especially doing volunteer trail work in the Cascade mountains I saw a different person. Again, her daughter told her "mom you have changed and I don't recognize you", her reply was "no I have not changed I finally get to be the real me". Geography is important in shaping how one feels about life.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15661
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.