Agnostic.com

6 0

Catholic priests

Do you think Catholic priests should be allowed to marry? Do you think that would lessen the incidence of sexual abuse within the church leadership?

Kojaksmom 8 Aug 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Of all the established religions this is one of the most perverse & not just because pedophiles & gay men are attracted to its structure. It is an aberrant system of secrets , ritual, unbalanced power & pseudo abstinence. Every Catholic is messed up. Including you Chris Mathews.

This tends to be a thing for me because of my long association with some child abuse organizations: people do not turn to pedophilia because they can not have "normal" sexual relationships. Pedophilia is an illness, perhaps biological, perhaps psychological.

Pedophiles turn to the church because they will be in a position of power in which they'll have access to children. The church has always been a safe harbour for them. I think the only way to diminish the incidents of pedophilia in the church is to open up the records to the light of day and take away that safe harbour for the criminals.

In addition to the pedophiles, there are a good number of priests having secret "adult" relationships, Priests tend to lead insular lives in which their food, clothes, lodging, etc., are taken care of by the church. I think allowing them to have relationships and living circumstances similar to their parishoners can only be good.

The priesthood has a long, long history of abuse and shielding abusers. In the Church of Emgland or Russian Orthodox, where priests can marry, there does not seem to be as much, OR maybe it just hasn't come out yet, or maybe pedophiles were not attracted to a more "balanced" system

Yes and yes.

The sexual drive is an animal instinct. Trying to repress it will only make it come out in some other, usually unacceptable, way. People who repress/suppress sexual behavior generally develop neurotic behaviors and personality traits.

Having priest marry and rais children will put them in touch with their parishioners as they will be able to relate to common problems they face.

I agree, the concept of being married to the church is simply unnatural.

@Kojaksmom So is being "a bride of christ", an expression that I always found cringe-worthy.

@Lauren I think sexually frustrated nuns are more likely to rap knuckles with rulers in religious schools. Neurotic behaviors develp from no sexual outlets. I think they manifest a little differently in men and women though.

@snytiger6 True, although I think both genders utilize ways of being mean. It's not natural to live without any pleasure other than subjugation and penance.

no reason why they should not be allowed its not part of the dogma and the pope could easily overturn it though this might detract from the special relationship with god deal whether it would have any effect on the abuse problem who knows

Why do you think that Non believers would/should care?

Well we ain't getting rid of the religious freaks anytime soon now are we? Personally ,I think we should all care about predation on children.

@Kojaksmom just making sure I follow.... You believe if they get married then predation on children will go away?

@IamNobody no I don't think that will ever go away. I do ,however, believe a life of forced celibacy can be a contributing factor.

@Akfishlady This happens in all religious settings, just not as highlighted in other settings. Here about every six months a person from one religion or another makes the news for these type things.

@Kojaksmom ok, point taken

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:158001
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.