Agnostic.com

10 1

How to cure Nihilism

Can nihilism be cured? if so, how?

GodlessWahid666 5 Aug 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just ignore it, and it will go away!

The chances are you are right that livfe is empty and meaningless.So why not create your own meaning, it is as valid as any other.

What do you mean by Nihilism?

Here's a socio-economic view of the problem, called Shit-Life Syndrome in The Guardian:

[theguardian.com]

I'm not at all certain it needs to be cured. Applied well, I find nihilism quite helpful to the human condition, both personally and culturally.

Try CBD oil, sold in most health food stores.

"A 2015 study concluded that CBD oil is a promising treatment for numerous forms of anxiety, including social anxiety disorder, panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder."

Link: Cannabidiol is a compound derived from cannabis plants. It may help people with anxiety reduce their symptoms with few or no side effects.
[medicalnewstoday.com]

I have a theory that it is form of depression as it seems close to dispair to me. I am not a medical practitioner but this is just an observation from a lay point of view. If someone is given hope that their circumstances will get better then their outlook on life improves, this can be done with therapy. If their Nihilistic views are caused by depression which is a mental illness, then either CBT therapy as I outlined above or drugs can improve their mindset. I know that the movement itself has its origins in Russia at the beginning of the twentieth century, but whatever or whoever started it probably attracted a certain type of melancholic personality to follow it. My son suffers from an illness on the depression spectrum and when he hadn’t been diagnosed properly a number of years ago he displayed alarmingly Nihilistic beliefs. This is what I am drawing my conclusions on.

I must just add that the religious aspect does not apply to the case I cited, my son has never believed in God as he was raised as a freethinker like myself. I think for those who have been religious, disillusionment in their religion and the realisation that they have been deluded about God’s existence could be a catalyst for their mental state taking such a nose dive down to hopelessness.

Are you refering to the rejection of all religions (which is great) AND the moral values as well?

Nihilism can mean a lot of different things. Could you elaborate what you specifically want talk about? Moral Nihilism? Metaphysical Nihilism? For convenience sake, here is a link the wiki article where you can look up the different forms: [en.wikipedia.org]

Dietl Level 7 Aug 19, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:158690
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.