Agnostic.com

2 2

LINK Beer and Bible readings: Church plans to open brewery, serve during service

Anything for followers! I hope this article is a joke.

helionoftroy 7 Aug 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's a great idea..now to just dump the church part, and stick with gathering to drink beer...better known as a bar!

There's also an International Church of Cannabis in Colorado.

It's probably not. Church leaders are coming up with all sorts of marketing ideas that stretch the definition of spiritual or even religious observance. The farther they delve into secular activities however, the harder it will be for them to defend their tax exempt status. They aren't thinking that far down the road though.

Here's hoping!

Ha! They're probably targeting the Millennial's.

Who cares? Reminds me of the Fosterite Church of the New Revelation in Robert A. Heinlein's novel "Stranger in a Strange Land." People who attended got entertainment, dancing, orgies, gambling, free drinks, etc.

Right now, all people get in church is VERY BORED.

Dear Seminarian. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but did you not start out on this site under the moniker "UnityBrad" a professed Christian in a post Christian religion seminary, with whom I exchanged comments about God not being a God and Jesus not being a historical person? And if I'm correct, I now see you are an agnostic, sort of, as I predicted you would become, but still "spiritual" and still a seminarian? Can you confirm this to be correct, or am I mistaken?

@David1955 You are correct. My status at the Seminary changed. I've also begun taking electives that involve the evolution of human consciousness, a field begun by a Clair Graves who was a colleague of Abraham Maslow. I still believe, as does Unity, that "God" is not a sentient being but is a process and we are products (creations) of that process. The reason I am here is because we view atheism is an alternative state of a more evolved consciousness. In other words once someone evolves past Modern Christianity they either become atheists or Spiritual Non- Religious. The best part for me is the intelligent biblical discussions. No one talks about the bible (or has analyzed it more) than an intelligent atheist.

@Seminarian so, just to be clear, you not a Christian now but, as your profile says, an agnostic? I think if my position had changed on religion, as had my username and profile while being here, I would present that clearly in my profile. Wouldn't you agree? BTW, I still think you are a theist, nuanced in new age language, and not an agnostic. Just being honest.

@David1955 I'm a Christian in that I believe Jesus was a Hebrew Mystic Rabbi. Maybe he was a literary creation which depicted a Hebrew who evolves to become a more enlightened Jew. The miracles are all symbolic in either case and were meant to convey a personalization of the OTs lessons which for the most part were aimed at the Jewish Nation.

@Seminarian you of course can call yourself whatever you want. But I need to tell you that hanging on to word "Christian" because it sounds goods, does not work with atheists like me. When I hear the word Christian, I have instant negative word association. Christian - oppression, thrawting of human progress, The Dark Ages, moralising anti- modern thinking, wars, persecution of free minds, apologists for tyranny and dictatorial reigns, and incomprehensible destruction of ancient knowledge. Just for starters. The more I read of Christianity and its history, the more I am repulsed by it. And it continues to the modern day, thinly disguised, less so in the developing world where there is less scrutiny. It is not and never has been a positive word for me, a student of history. The word Christian is a word we should add the vocabulary of infamy in human history. Dressing it up in modern new age speak does nothing to change that. I long to see the word brought to justice.

@David1955 Yes I know. There is a big debate about that subject among all New Thought Churches. In fact most no longer use the word church. They favor "Life Enrichment Center" or "Unity Spiritual Center" etc. Most Unity Centers have removed the cross from the front of the sanctuary in favor of a blank wall. At my church we are about to take the word church out of our name. We only leave the cross up because we don't want to upset one 85 year old lady. The new favored term instead of Christian is Integral. This name describes a higher level of consciousness which respects but not necessarily agrees with lower levels of understandings like traditional Christians, Moslems etc. Atheists are not necessarily considered to be at a lower level of understanding. They have just reached alternative conclusions. If they respect other views they are Integral as well.

@Seminarian well, of course we see things differently but I found what you have said interesting anyway. Funny about the elderly lady, though. 🙂

@Seminarian PS how can you describe yourself as an Integral? You can't call yourself an adjective integral, and as a noun it refers to a mathematical function. I see no link between the word and your definition. Strange.

@David1955 It refers to Integral Consciousness. I don't think I've reached that level. I am finally getting over my irrational anger at Traditional Christian doctrine though.. I consider my anger irrational because I've never even had a connection to a Traditional Christian church. I just think their teachings are not the original teachings, and illogical as well. I actually think of myself as a heretic in the tradition of Origen of Alexandria, Meister Eckhart and Bishop John Shelby Spong. As Leo Tolstoy wrote in "The Kingdom of God is within you." There have always been Christians who believe as we do, but we have never been in the majority.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:159379
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.