Agnostic.com

10 1

Being in a relationship with the religious.

A big issue with my ex-wife was her being a Christian and me being well, not. Several times she said I was going to go to hell in front of our kids, I was just curious to gain some perspective if anyone else has ever gone through this before.

Ryland 4 Aug 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That would depend on if it was an obsession that leads to irrational behaviour! I am not threatened by believers if they aren’t threatened by my lack of it!

I always found it uncomfortable, so I am unlikely to do it in the future. The happiest I have ever been was with another atheist.

Been there done that, won't do it again. Those are too big an issue to try to work around. There would be to much conflict that eats at relationships. I will no longer settle for almost a compatible mate and try to just force the rest. I don't have the time nor am I masochistic enough to go through that again.

I am sure I have been told to go to hell many times and I know religion was the last thing on their mind

I get where you're coming from with that, but this instance absolutely was.

I wouldn't, couldn't, marry anyone that had different political or religious views than me. It's too big of a deal for me to try to get my head around. I need logical thinkers in my life, not sheep.

Wow, I'm surprised you got far enough along to marry and have kids . Her kind of attitude , would have had me runnin' for the hills !

Though not all religious folks need to disparage those around them.

If a person mentions God -specially more than once- during the first hour after we met....I leave. Period.

A person who constantly flashes "You will go to hell / God will never forgive you..." should not marry a person because he / she is already married to an imaginary one...one who engulfs him / her away from reality.

The constant put down these people resort to is a sign of their brains failure.

I’m recently divorced due to religion. We had a great marriage for 14 years until he found jesus. I was always agnostic then atheist. Our children are agnostic and atheist respectively. He started becoming verbally abusive saying we were going to hell, etc. The arguments were constant as we became “less than” because we were not christian. We continue our wonderful lives happily together without all of that mess.

Many people here either have been, or currently are, in that position.

I would never even date a religious person, and I have been that way for decades..long before realizing I'm fully agnostic.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:161678
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.