Agnostic.com

14 13

LINK Some Of The Oldest Ice In The Arctic Is Now Breaking Apart : NPR

More bad news on climate. Ugh.

Akfishlady 8 Aug 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Damn...

I just hope we can learn something from it and not let it go to waste.

It's all just been one big experiment in how life evolves anyway. It's been fairly successful on the whole. Fun while it lasted....

Wow that's one harsh ice breaker

Is Not said the Commander in Chief

lerlo Level 8 Aug 25, 2018

What are you saying? Another Ice Age?

godef Level 7 Aug 25, 2018

As a kid growing up in the 60's, I remember my grandfather and his brother (my great uncle) sitting on the porch talking ad nauseam about the weather. In an era when the weather was less extreme than what we see today, it seemed to be their favorite topic. Nowadays, it appears that, while the weather is front page news, half of us don't want to confront it, in terms of what it might mean for our future. Our elders believed that our climate, and even the local weather, was what God deemed it to be. Even insurance companies made policies which excluded "acts of God." What's up with that? I mean, how does an insurance company insure an atheist?

In any case, we are long past the point for discussion about the weather. However, in a democracy, an ignorant or intransigent electorate will often send a representative that is poorly equipped to confront these issues. Democracies in which the majority are poorly educated and distrust science are, perhaps, the most vulnerable.

We may have crossed the point of no return. The poorer nations will suffer the most.

It should be noted that as the ice is melting, a good deal of the heat is being absorbed. When the last of the ice melts the warming trends will increase at a much higher rate both due to the lack of heat absorbed by the cold ice and the lack of light refraction the ice provides. As vastly more ocean waters heat up, less of ocean surface will provide nutrients for ecosystems. (Colder water provides more nutrients)

Climate change will not destroy earth, but it will very likely destroy billions of us. The loss of farmland and real estate, the storms and tidal waves, wildfires and heat waves, and our leadership bans the term climate change.

[theguardian.com]

The fact that money in politics still has a hold on this makes me ill.

It does seem to be a logical conclusion. Humans seem to have outlived their usefulness on the planet anyway...
The microbes that are sealed in ancient Arctic ice will probably do in most of us over the next 30-50 years.

If we don't invest in solutions to reverse it, we better start saving for state size levees. I'm looking at you NY and FL.

These would be a weak fix to an issue of this size.

Unfortunately I think we waited to long and it's unstoppable...

Yes, and the glaciers in Greenland and Iceland are retreating. Much of the icepack in Antarctica is doing the same.

Damn. This is truly awful.

Ohub Level 7 Aug 24, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:162778
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.