Agnostic.com

54 12

Presumed to be religious. Do people just make the assumption you're religious, as if there were no other option?

Sometimes I get asked "what church do you go to?" As if, I must go to one of them. But, when I was doing my coursework as a teacher, the Professor that came in and graded my student teaching told me...

"A lot of teaching jobs are being cut (true at the time). You may have to apply for private schools. Many are Christian, but I know you won't have any problem with that."

I was sort of dumbfounded by the comment. How do you know that? Oh, because you haven't seen me eat any babies? I seem like a nice person... well, I'm not a Christian-- or a religious person! I wanted to say... but seeing as this was the person grading me, I just didn't comment.

Are you presumed to be religious, too?

silvereyes 8 Jan 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

54 comments (51 - 54)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't hide the fact that I'm Agnostic. I study all there is to study and also pray. I also like to listen to Gospel music. I understand my logic, but this seems to confuse people. I adore the concept of Angels. One co-worker asked me if I'm not a Christian, how can I listen to Gospel music? It seems they are whispering or gossiping about me being fake. But, I understand it although others may not understand so this is me. I see possibilities and whatever possibility is of love, compassion, and righteousness, then those are the possibilities that I follow. I imagine and hope there are entities like Angels, so just in case there are, I pray to them. Gospel music is uplifting and gives me hope that there's a purpose and a rhyme and reason for all of this and that I'm not alone as long as I seek the path of love and compassion (whoever may be called family of this kingdom). There can possibly be a world of harmony and love like heaven. I believe anything as such is possible because I'm possible. I also try to consult with any potential aliens that may be out there; it's possible. But, I also pray to any being or elemental force able to hear my prayers or cries to guide and lead me to the truth and the light. This is me. And, I'm only trying to express myself and share me, because don't get too many chances to do this without some sort of weird reactions.

There's a church for Agnostics and secular Christians per say (who sway more to the belief of Jesus but think differently than other Christians) and others ... all ideologies or theologies and it's call the Unitarian Universalists; so, I have an answer when people ask me about my church although I don't practice or believe in any one specific religion. I'm a true Agnostic... how the crap do I know what's true and false about realms outside of my perceptions? We wouldn't know anything about microbes if not for the invention of microscopes although humans for the most part had some idea that sicknesses were caused by some elemental force humans not able to sense. But, I do know that I choose whatever it is that is righteous and good against all that is evil (all may be subjective and extremely difficult to decipher and even so only higher order Beings may be able to decipher ... who really knows? I know that I don't know) ... it's very tricky ... I always said even when I related to Christianity that it's bigger and so grander than most may comprehend and will also shock and awe the majority. Just my thoughts. Can't help the way I see the universe and think.

But, it's weird to me; it's like some people will trust a Christian immediately, and from my experience, most of them aren't even kind, considerate, or compassionate. It depends on their motivation for seeking God and following Christianity. Some use it as a front, or a solution or healing from bad habits, some just don't want to suffer in Hell (so, mainly a self-preservist). I relate to many descriptions of what some would call an Empath; so, I basically can see straight through the exterior or surface of most people.

People have often asked me "Ok, fine you're Atheists, but why do you have to be so vocal about it ?"

It's precisely because people assume that other people are religious that makes many Atheists as vocal as they are.

Lately I've enjoyed this assumption falling out of favor and find myself not having putting up a vocal front.

As a side note though, many religions teach you can't be "good" without "faith". Thus not believing in god or Jesus is connected with automatically being a bad person.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16296
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.