Agnostic.com

3 1

LINK I'm disgusted... Video shows Houston security guard ignoring police officers’ pleas for help

A Houston police officer in a struggle with a suspect who tried to flee after being pulled over called for assistance. A bystander (or a non-uniform officer, depending on which news link you hit) came to his aide, but not the uniformed guard, who pulled out her cell phone and stood there filming the incident with a completely disinterested look on her face... as if it were happening a million miles away. You can almost hear her thinking about how many hits her video will get on Facebook.

Given today's anti-police climate, I'm tempted to wonder if she was rooting for the suspect to win. Or did she just have an extreme case of "not my problem" syndrome?

Paul4747 8 Aug 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'll guess "not my problem".

Well since the supreme court said cops don't have to come to your aid...

Might not be right, but cops are reaping the rewards for their assholeness over the past 20-30 years. Wasn't this bad before....I seem to remember relationships with the community start going down hill in the 80's with the "War on Drugs". Wars are shitty things...probably wasn't a good way to tackle the problem by casting it in this kind of light.

You're talking about this decision: [nytimes.com] The court very narrowly struck down a lawsuit against a Colorado police department for failing to arrest the husband in a domestic dispute, despite a court order stating he would be arrested if he violated the protective order. She sued for the wrongful death of her children in a, to me, bizarre theory: "She argued that the order gave her a "property interest" within the meaning of the 14th Amendment's due process guarantee, which prohibits the deprivation of property without due process." In other words, the children were her property. I thought this thinking went out with slavery.

Of course the police will come to your aid if they see you, 20 feet away, engaged in a life or death struggle. Don't be bloody ridiculous. All the Supreme Court did was reaffirm a principle of governmental immunity on very narrow grounds. Failure to come to your aid is not a basis for a lawsuit.

There is a serious question about the validity of police stops these days. With the extensive evidence of "driving while black" "cooking out while black" "existing while black"arrests and stops, public confidence in law enforcement is pretty low. If the officer was not in danger, I don't see a pressing need to assist with a takedown of someone may gave been racially profiled.

I agree. They have backup they can call. Also, have heard many stories of "Good Samaritans" arrested and charged when tried to help. Honestly, I have no desire to risk my life or safety for them, since they won't do the same for me. Maybe if they change their attitude toward the public they are suppose to serve, I would go back to feeling semi-positive about them like I did in my 20s.

Watch the video. The suspect attempts to get the officer's gun from his holster. That's a danger to the officer and to innocent bystanders, including the piece of crap security guard, if he succeeds and shots start flying.

Regardless of the "validity" of being pulled over, you keep your hands in view and follow the officer's instructions. Police in this case were looking for a car in connection with another crime. This particular individual bolted and fled from his car when pulled over, which is pretty strong circumstantial evidence in my view that they had the car they were looking for.

Question: if a 911 call is made describing a perpetrator in a crime as black (or white, or Hispanic, the example is valid any way you choose) driving let's say a red car going east, and police stop several individuals of that description in red cars going east within the next few minutes; is that racial profiling, or is it police work?

@Paul4747 not about to argue this with you. For my reply see above

@OpposingOpposum Right.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:163463
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.