Agnostic.com

7 0

Trumper is the least moral,religious,faithful,truthful president in US history.Why does the religious right support him so much?

Marine 8 Aug 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Because he will do what they want.

I think it tells us something about the rampant hypocritical thought processes of religion.

Because you can’t fix stupid!

Because religious fundamentalism is the least moral, faithful, truthful religion.

In the US, fundamentalism is additionally shot through with what's known as "dominionism" or "Christian reconstructionism", which seeks to push us toward a theocratic governance, and in its purest form, to even supplant our legal system, based on British Common Law, with Old Testament religious law. Hence they seek worldly power as an end in itself, to be ruthlessly obtained in the name of god and in the interest of piety.

He ran under the Republican ticket, and they have been told Republicans are the Christian party. I would say a very large majority of people who vote don't bother to look at the candidates, their proposed platforms, or their history of prior government service. Thinking is too hard, so much easier to be naive and vote as your told. After all, God is in control, so no need for me to spend the energy trying to make things better.

When your whole life is based on lies, perhaps you respect a liar.

gearl Level 8 Aug 28, 2018

The only answer I can come up with are his appointments to the Supreme Court support their views.

That's the proximal motivation but seizing ideological sway over the courts at all levels is just a prelude to what's to come -- the recasting of our entire legal and judicial system along Old Testament lines.

If you want to see what that looks like, make sure there are no guns, sharp objects or long ropes in your house, and binge-watch The Handmaid's Tale. The details will be different (we don't currently have a fertility crisis, but some sufficiently threatening perceived crisis will be used to justify such a regime). But the general concept is scarily spot-on, particularly if, like me, you come out of fundamentalism originally.

There's a lot of ways for this to play out and many of them don't lead to a Christian Taliban scenario like that. But a lot of them do, and they're now dangerously plausible, thanks to what Trump has normalized. And in supporting Trump, Roy Moore, and similar perverts for high office, the Christian Right proves that it's ready to go all the way for Jesus.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:165722
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.