Agnostic.com

9 1

Troubles because of freethinking and views expression?

Hey!

Have You ever got into troubles by publicaly expressing Your views on religion etc? If so, what were the consequences You faced?

Michael84 2 Aug 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nope. but i don't get out much lol. i was annoyed within the last year or two by a friend of a friend who, finding i am an atheist, assured me that atheism is a religion. i met her again this past june and she didn't bring it up again, so that was cool. however, at the same meeting, one of my fiancé's friends prayed jesusly over him at his birthday celebration (at a buffet) and that was HIGHLY annoying. that wasn't me being in trouble over expressing my views; that was her imposing her views on him. he's not an atheist, but we're jewish. no jesus for us! i think i was the only atheist there; two of our friends i think are not jewish but i don't know if they believe in some other religion. they haven't mentioned it. the rest of us were all jewish. everyone at the table was bothered by the performance. and this extravagant hands-on praying wasn't just a word or two. she went all extreme on us, and she had also brought along an evangelical friend of hers who had that glazed look in her eyes and that fixed smile -- you know the kind; you see it and the twilight zone theme starts playing in your head. they were out to bring someone home to jesus and to hell (literally) with anyone who tried to stop them (or stop them from wearing those weird smiles). the consequences she faced... were nothing at all, but we don't communicate much. the next time she contacts us, i intend to tell her off, as gently as i can. she KNOWS better. i think she might have been trying to impress her friend.

g

All the time ... The little bourgeoisie thinks firmly that they have to jump to the defence of the prevailing way of thinking.
I have been a car user and user of other polluting devices for decades and I am critical about these evil devices despite the advantages they provide.
We should be able to be critical about anything. The problem is that very often people stop listening once they heard something that triggered their defensive thinking.
I was asked whether I was in favour of "gay" marriage. When I said “no” the answer was swift and I was called a Nazi. I couldn't even place the second part of my answer: "I am opposed to marriage!”

I don't discuss it at work because religion and politics don't make for comfortable work conditions. That being said, everyone knows and no one seems to care too much. I live in a very open community so it seems to be more live and let live.

I was at a lunch party, and I gave my views on religion. I am not actually an atheist, however, one person said I was a cultist and would go to hell. Others leapt to my defense. I think a few people are not as friendly as before, but that’s okay.

The friends I value most are ones who like me the way I am. Some of those BTW are avid church people.

I think the more open and public one is about well thought out spiritual views, especially if fairly mainstream secular (like me) the less others are inclined to challenge or vilify those views.

I'm very public and outspoken about my views, right on my business website, because I provide services to people with similar spiritual views. (I perform weddings and funerals for atheists, agnostics, humanists, free thinkers and mixed religious couples/families.) Therefore, it's important for me to put it right out there who I am and who I am best suited to serve. I do not get any backlash - as I try to do it in a respectful way.

I feel (and get) the same respect religious ministers do, as we are each striving to serve our like-minded clients/couples/families, best we can.

It's interesting that so many say no, because discrimination against the irreligious is documented in social psychology literature. According to one study, atheists were considered no more trustworthy than rapists. Let that sink in. Unfortunately as well, we usually get our own line in the FBIs annual hate crimes statistics report. There are far, far fewer hate crimes against the irreligious than other groups, especially people of color, but it is still enough to count. Considering that since 2016 there appears to be an uptick in all hate crimes, I think being a bit more vigilant is a good idea.

Let me see if I care what others think ... ahhh, No . There is only ONE exception for me : my patients . There is absolutely no reason to express my views or argue or criticize theirs when they r sick in a bed , stressed about how gonna pay enormous insurance bills , who is taking care litle Jonny , or if the dog will be ok until they get back home . To not mention the ones that know , won't get back home . To those I along . If " lord will guide me " or " Jesus will help me ", is their thing , I say , yes ma'am / sir , god knows best . Bcz ain't matter . To the rest , and if directly ask my position or thoughts or cornered in a way that I have to say something , well , the price to pay is a price I can afford ?

It has never been a problem for me. I am open about my atheism. I have worked with and for religious people and it hasn't even been a problem then.

I used to worry about such things.
I don't anymore.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:165832
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.