Agnostic.com

23 7

So... do flat earthers think the other planets are flat also?

Or, do they believe the other planets are not flat, just this one? Or do they perhaps not believe the other planets exist? How does that work?

Duke 8 Jan 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Probably, because idiots are gonna idiot

LOL, that brought things into perspcetive. Mostly my brain turns off when I hear 'flat earthers', even my sense of humor evaporates. Thanks for the giggle.

Your post makes me want to go troll the flat-earth sites and ask them. I won't, because I have better things to do, but it tickles me to think about it. Thanks! 😉

You should! I did and found it educational, humorous, and very depressing.

@Reignmond I'll take educational and humorous all day long, but I'm going to pass on very depressing. There's enough other stuff I can't avoid that I find depressing. I don't need to go looking for more. It's like deliberately debating religutards. An exercise in futility, at best.

KKGator, it is exactly the same and they are very often the both.

Duke,I don't think flat Earthers can think that far ahead.

Trust me, they gave thought a hell of a lot about this! And cane up with incredibly ridiculous answers.

@PeterJohn I'm sure they have to take this issue one planet at a time.

Is there people that really think that? Grandma was 102 when passed way in 1986 and even here knew that earth is round. Who da phuck knows what they think!!!

ha ha ha..

There most certainly are! And they are winning converts. I actually was astonished to find out done if my co-workers are Flat Earthers

There have been comments on their fb page that say that the moon and mars have been observed to be round, so I’ll answer your question with no.

I don't know, but they've obviously never seen a lunar eclipse. If the earth were flat, you'd only see a line shading the moon.

Haha...

Some believe the Sun orbits a flat Earth and flat Moon. And the present shadow is due to the disc shaped Earth.

They exist but are not important. This one is the only important one because it contains the only important creatures in the universe.

My answer is still my late partners question: "which is more important, people or dirt"?

@JackPedigo Dirty People. That's my final answer.

It takes quite an imagination to envision living in a galaxy of flying space pancakes.

Religious belief promotes dogma, not imagination. They discourage imagination. It is plain blind faith.

What about the flat basketball society?

d_day Level 7 Jan 23, 2018

I can't believe we are asking these questions!

What questions? Any one in particular?

@JackPedigo As a science educator, just the mere fact that we continue to entertain these outrages ideas is enough to make me want to gag. Illiteracy has hit an all time low in the U.S.

@sciteachmd In a way I understand and in a way I don't. Yes, some are outrageous like people thinking the Earth is flat or only 6,000 years old. It shows a lot of ignorance. But the one about people and dirt is often a revelation to many. Some things people just don't think of.

To me it all centers on our thinking we are the center of the universe. I heard it said that we think (metaphorically) gravity exists so that it is easier for humans to sit. And, of course, there is the one about the noise of a tree falling in a forest. Too many view the world from anthropocentric eyes and religion is a big cause of that.

Look right here on this site and you will see the misconceptions some of have about the world in general. Some of us want to learn but others are set in their boxed-in ways.

Some come to the fountain of knowledge and drink from it. Many more just gargle.

I saw a picture relatively recently that showed all the planets in our solar system as spheres -- except, of course, earth. But I have no idea whether that was from them or from someone making fun of them.

I think I found it...

Those aren't "planets"..they're floating l.e.d lights in the firmament! Damn, get it right..geez

Some ancient humans gathered around their campfire at night looked up and thought the stars were also camp fires.

This should answer your question:

[iflscience.com]

Flat Earthers and their ilk are as diverse in their crazy beliefs as Christians. Some believe only the Earth is flat. Some believe the Earth is more if a dome shaped. Some believe all planets are flat. Some believe there are no other planets at all. Some don't believe any of the Flat Earth nonsense, they just spout it to "sow the seeds of confusion" over science in order to win over some borderline Christians.

I don't know what to think about flat-earthers. I'm sure some of them don't really believe what they're saying, but I don't know. It seems you need look no further than eclipses to see that the flat-earth model is terribly flawed.

Well, if you really think about it, the earth looks flat and both the sun and the moon look like flat disks, and all the other planets are too far and look more like points of light. And they are so wrapped up into their bible that they don’t accept any scientific information. Their bible tells them that those who contradict them are the devil. I kid you not!

It has been my experience that they have an answer for everything, that even seem to make sense, if you don't think about them too much. Seriously, I only recently began to entertain the idea that they aren't joking.

I thought it was a parody of how inerrancy Christians try to reconcile all the contradictions in the bible.

Pastors and the likes have developed ways to gloss over the discrepancies, and you have to remember these are not rational thinkers, or thinkers at all; they just believe. Sad... scary!!

its a universe of pizzas

That’s a brilliant question.

Yes, but only until it becomes apparent that logic and reason have no place in their minds.

I think they think those are just fake planets that NASA has invented to fool people. They think all photos of Earth are fake. They think there are no satellites (GPS etc.) in space either.

I'm guessing that they are mostly Trump voters, as then it would fit together.

1. They don’t think. Just an ounce of reason would get anyone to reject flat earthing. 2) What other planets? - asked the flat earther. The moon and the sun are not planets, they are just the moon and the sun, they, with the stars, go around our earth which is the center of the universe, where god placed it. (Try to crack that faulty view... impossible). 3) It does not have to work; it is an irrational belief that does not have to follow any logical sequence. I pity them, until the moment they want to forcefully impose their views on every one else an then I begin to understand why anyone would want to throw anyone else to the lions.

I am sure that they would believe the other planets are flat if they were standing on them.

Do they also think the sun is flat?

Does the sun look espherical? No, it looks like a flat disk. The moon looks more espherical, but not that much because it only shows us one face. Again, there is no analytical process.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16602
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.