Agnostic.com

13 3

When was the last time you had an in-person theological discussion?

Zachary 4 Jan 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It was with the last date I had with someone that didn't want to see me again. 🙂

I am not sure it counts but a friend of mine is Evangelical and we got into a bit of a spate over it about 3 weeks ago. I do like the guy and his wife but I am mildly tired of the wife trying to convert me. As I said to him "trust me you do not want to save my soul, it really isnt worth much. You also don't want me in heaven I will just mess up the place.". He didnt find my attitude amusing.

I have a roommate who I share thoughts with from this site. Also my 22 yr old who lives with me. Watched a video on the Deep State for the first time. My daughter has been telling me for some time about it and I poo pooed it. We had a short talk with her chiding me "I told you so."

At least every other week. I volunteer with an atheist organization that hands out necessities to the homeless. Afterwards we always go out to lunch and spend the afternoon discussing all the latest scientific studies we have read and venting our frustrations over theological ideology. I love it.

Yesterday... well sort of... we were sampling a couple old soda flavors and decided next time we needed a palate cleanser between flavors.
Pondering options someone mentioned communion wafers as a good option as they are quite bland. We all had a good laugh and discussed memories around communion for a bit drinking soda. Good times!

Not very often socially, but I do occasionally use socratic questioning at school with a couple of students who are some sort of Christians and one who is Muslim.
I don't generally express my lack of belief to them, I just generally say that I do not hold their belief and ask them to explain their belief to me. "So how does that work" "Why do you think that is true" "How can you check that is the case"
I don't dismiss their beliefs - I ask why I should choose their faith and not be a Hindu/Buddhist/or whatever. I try to make them think about things and try to teach them to be skeptics.

Not easy in a school for students who have been permanently excluded from other school that no-one else wants to teach, but I will persevere!

about 3 or 4 weeks ago...I got one of my favorite 'have you heard the good word' line...I said, "Yes I have: PUMPERNICKEL!"...they laughed, I laughed...and we had a light discussion on history and 'my lack of fear for my immortal soul'...I may have made a 'there can be only one' crack, but that didn't get the laughs that PUMPERNICKEL got. It was a good time...for me, anyway.

the last time I think was in my 20`s and some religious people knocked on my door with a picture of little children dancing along past lions, horses and other animals but I soon learned it was fruitless telling them the error of there ways. I did once shout up to my sister that someone wanted her at the door after telling them she is interested which she didn't appreciate lol. I just say I'm not interested now because it's easier.

i had a respectful low key conversation with a very traditional evangelical type about 3 months ago. i think he was mystified by my non-belief when we parted ways.

Ummmm about 100 years ago when I was 18 I got into a debate with a born again Christian that kept going round and round and no where, and that was the last time I ever attempted that. Until I was in Egypt and I think I may of had 1 too many Egyptian vodkas (They make it there you know) And I told my tour guide that the Virgin Mary was not a virgin. He looked so shocked and speechless I turned around and walked away, There was a man on our tour who is a priest in the Canadian army, really funny guy, he heard the whole thing and was laughing, and asked me which one of the wisemen I think she screwed.Then we both had another drink.

Sacha Level 7 Jan 20, 2018

I've gotta say @Sacha for a 118 year old you're certainly looking good. What's your secret?

@David1955 Ahhhhhh well, If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore would it 😉

A what ? Do you mean face to face discussion with someone about religion? If so, the last detailed one was at a party a few weeks ago with a Reverend Pastor guy. I won.

With my sister's husband nr 1 out of 3. About a month ago while delivering clothes, furniture and other items to the GoodWill warehouse. He got mad, I laughed.

Monday.

skado Level 9 Jan 20, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16746
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.